Cuprinol wood preserver

Sponsored Links
Another water based preserver. Shed and fence clear. Was advised it is over coatable.

Sponsored Links
The product does say it contains waxes. However, when I asked about it they said it can be over coated with paint etc. It is a water based product.

When the first coat went on it dried fine and hadn’t repelled.

I don't know which previous product you used.

I read reviews where people had used preservatives on top of this.

It appears to be a wax-film shed treatment. You can overcoat it with itself, but once dried, the wax is water repellent and you can't normally apply something else until it has weathered away, or been blasted off with a jetwasher.

I would guess that the solvent content in the cuprinol has softened the wax film.

I read reviews where people had used preservatives on top of this.

If I was doing it, I'd use the preservative first and let it soak into the timber and dry completely, then apply any decorative finish afterwards. Decorative finishes lie on the surface, but a preserver must soak in.

If I was doing it, I'd use the preservative first and let it soak into the timber and dry completely, then apply any decorative finish afterwards. Decorative finishes lie on the surface, but a preserver must soak in.

Someone had used the shed and fence clear but wasn’t happy so used a preservative on top.

How would I get that off now then the sticky residue?

A jet washer will do it, but raises the grain.

maybe leave it a week or two? I'd have thought the solvent would eventually dry out, unless the wax has saponified (I don't know if wax can do that, but oil and grease can)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back