Curved stair in hall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.
I am about to partake in some 'laminate action' on the ground floor of my house. Most of this is floor is pretty much complete witg regard to decorating, rewiring the odd bit of carpentry etc. The ceiling just needs to be skimmed though I may have to start the flooring before this is commenced (probably not ideal but it's proving difficult to find a plasterer willing to take on two ceilings worth of skimming!).

Had a good browse through various documentation (the installation guide within the laminate flooring is pretty extensive) so I'm happy I can take this head on.
Slight worry about the hall though; I have stripped the existing skirting from the living room (not in great nic) and will later add (and stain/varnish) straight pine boards as new skirting (will the size of the average pine strip/board - 6 " height - be sufficient to cover the gapping around the flooring?). The concern is the small hall at the bottom of the stairs. I have beading to add to the existing skirting there which is staying - I will be ripping out the small portion of carpet but leaving the stairs carpeted. However I am not sure what to do with the curve on the bottom stair - the laminate I can cut with a jigsaw but I haven't a clue what to do with the beading (which I guess will not bend!) where the floor meets this carpet? I don't think there is a sufficient enough gap to place the carpet over the new floor.

Sorry if the above is a bit of a ramble, I'm discovering it's tricky to trim the fat off written queries!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Northbeach said:
However I am not sure what to do with the curve on the bottom stair - the laminate I can cut with a jigsaw but I haven't a clue what to do with the beading (which I guess will not bend!) where the floor meets this carpet? I don't think there is a sufficient enough gap to place the carpet over the new floor.

What we normally do is leave an expansion gap around the curve and fill that with a cork strip (10mm wide). Because of the curve and the small area, filling that little gap with cork wouldn't restrict any movement of the floor (not as much as filling every expansion gap with cork strip would do, but some people still do that ;))

Hope this helps

Ahh, that should do the trick I'm sure! We are talking about the strips of flexible cork which I would merely push into said gap?
I guess some of the carpet would overhang a little on this gap anyhow so should look as neat as anything. I could perhaps laminate the stairing but a: haven't time/cost budgeted for this and b: don't really fancy this with a 15 month old discovering the benefits of her legs!

Thanks very much.

Northbeach said:
We are talking about the strips of flexible cork which I would merely push into said gap?

The strips we use are 10x10x600mm quality cork, not the little 'open-structured' cork blocks (10x10x50mm), cause they are a) to uneven and b) fill-up with dirt very soon.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back