Laminate Floor Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted laminate flooring in my upstairs hall (first time) and got through it all fine, but have a problem with the downstairs hall. What would be the best solution for where the Laminate flooring meets the carpet on the stairs? at the top I have a Laminate/Carpet brass divider on the floor, but this tool wont work for the bottom of the stairs as you can see in the picture, should I just floor up to the stairs then fill with sealant? then tack stairs back down? or is there something I can buy for this purpose? bearing in mind the bottom steps curves so a brass divider wont really work.

Sponsored Links
Dont know of any manufactured product available , make a template from card then transfer this to laminate floor to be cut

Hi

Not sure it this will work with your floor but you could lift your carpet at the very bottom then fit your laminate with the 10mm gap then fit a flat 10mm batten along the bottom of the stair to cover the gap then staple or glue your carpet to the batten then this would give the effect of the laminate going under the carpet.

Hope this helps
Shaun

Hi

My stairs are exactly the same as yours.

I put the laminate right up to the bottom step ignorning the instruction to leave a 10mm gap. I cut the shape by creating template out of card and then transfering the shape to the piece of laminate.

I have left a 10mm gap where the laminate meets the bottom banister post though,and I am going to put trim there to cover the gap.

Sponsored Links
Nightfox said:
I have fitted laminate flooring in my upstairs hall (first time) and got through it all fine, but have a problem with the downstairs hall. What would be the best solution for where the Laminate flooring meets the carpet on the stairs? at the top I have a Laminate/Carpet brass divider on the floor, but this tool wont work for the bottom of the stairs as you can see in the picture, should I just floor up to the stairs then fill with sealant? then tack stairs back down? or is there something I can buy for this purpose? bearing in mind the bottom steps curves so a brass divider wont really work.

So you've got laminate upstairs and you're going to have it downstairs too, yet leave the stairs carpeted? Won't that look a bit odd?

How about cutting the bottom step so the laminate actually does go under it rather than just giving the impression it does?

Use a piece of the laminate pushed against the step as a guide and with a hard point saw you can cut away the step. You may need to chisel away the awkward parts at the ends.

Then you are using the area under the step as the expansion. As long as the finish is snug so the step does not bounce and hit the laminate when someone walks on it it should be fine. Effectively you are replacing the part of the step you remove with laminate. I'd also suggest pushing an extra inch or two under the step so there is not too much pressure on the tip of the board when people walk on the step.

That said, this is just a suggestion (not something I have done before) so someone may well point out the problem with this idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back