Cutting bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have laid a fair few bricks now on my extension but only ever needed half bricks which I've just smashed in half with the trowel and pointed the broken end into the cavity.
When I've needed any other cut like a 2thirds or whatever, I've spectacularly failed to do it with a bolster, even going really slowly from all sides, these bricks just eventually shatter into an unusable shape and get added to the pile of rubble.
The bricks have 3 big holes in and those grooves in the back which I guess may be meant to help with cutting?
Only way I can see is just use a disc cutter just a lot of noise and dust.
Any tips appreciated(y)

Sponsored Links
A 4.5" grinder with a daimond disc will make an initial cut for you, or cut both top and bottom, and it'll snap cleanly. Yes, there's a fair amount of dust, but as it'll do it quickly, there won't be much noise.

I batch my noisy work together on the basis that from the neighbours point of view 60 seconds is as bad as 5 seconds, especially with a grinder when there's a lot of spinning up and spinning down time. Can you plan enough to get a batch of bricks done in one hit?

Sponsored Links
We used a batch of (perf) bricks that had four holes - yes four! This made it impossible to cut the brick in half cleanly without the use of an angle grinder.

Stupid brick manufacturers.

Not a bolster then woody? I think I'll have to stick to my angle grinder for these unless you can elaborate on the 'certain technique'. These bricks seem really fragile and generally just break into several small pieces.
Not a big issue but I'm always trying to improve how I do things.

Not a bolster then woody?
No. This means the brick is on a surface (usually hard) and it can send the shock to other parts of the brick making this method unreliable.

A brick hammer with the brick in your hand, yields the best results.

Agree with brick in hand and brick hammer technique.

I had about 20 2/3 bricks to cut for the doorway on my extension. Bolster just blew brick to bits, brick hammer was relatively successful.

Hold brick face up in palm with 1/3 you don't want furthest away from you. Fingers should be parallel to long edge of brick. Strike brick hammer along length of cut line until it breaks away.

Cool thanks all, unless I have to do loads I'll stick with the grinder but may buy a brick hammer in future.

I had no luck at all with the hammer. Grinder worked a treat. As above line up several bricks and cut a batch. You get two good halves as well. It is noisy but not for long, and hammering (then swearing) isn't exactly quiet.

No. This means the brick is on a surface (usually hard) and it can send the shock to other parts of the brick making this method unreliable.

A brick hammer with the brick in your hand, yields the best results.
Yes I tired a bolster too (this was for concrete pavers though), even resting the brick on a bed of sand, and it was always a disaster.
Eventually I discovered you can hire a block splitter cheaply which is basically a floor standing scissors with a long handle.
That reduced the wastage rate to about 30%...
Not sure if you can get one for bricks though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back