cutting bus bars - how do you do it?

Told you

705965_120601121913_front.jpg

Sponsored Links
If we are talking a domestic CU busbar, they are usually pre-scored. Two pairs of pliers either side of the score where you want to break it, hold tight and gently bend slightly each way a few times, then snap.

A chop saw? Umm. Wouldn't be getting mine out to cut a 100amp busbar from a CU!

Sponsored Links

Square peg, round hole?

So how would a plumbers pipe cutter help score a flat cu buzz bar :LOL:

Scoring with a metal workers scribe, or any sharp point such as a bradawl or a Stanley knife run down the ruler edge of a set square.

Copper/copper aloy being soft scores quite easily with a hardened cutting wheel.

But. > ZusZeil.

The busbar is FLAT

The pipe cutter is designed to cut into round pipe.

You can rub the flat busbar up against your pipe cutter thing as much as you like, but it isn't going to do anything to it, except get a bit hot.

In any case
I have no idea why you need to scribe, or score the busbar in the first place.. Just cut the bloomin thing. Or bend it a couple of times.

Good grief, why do you try and complicate everything???????

Just Use a full size hacksaw with a tensioned blade you will find it far easier to cut straight than a junior hacksaw with a flimsy blade

But. > ZusZeil.

The busbar is FLAT

The pipe cutter is designed to cut into round pipe.

You can rub the flat busbar up against your pipe cutter thing as much as you like, but it isn't going to do anything to it, except get a bit hot.

In any case
I have no idea why you need to scribe, or score the busbar in the first place.. Just cut the bloomin thing. Or bend it a couple of times.

Good grief, why do you try and complicate everything???????

Please don't flame me for answering a simple question with a simple answer. I just said what I use myself. I cant aford to spend a lot of money on tools so I make do with what I've got.

thank you.

In any case I have no idea why you need to scribe, or score the busbar in the first place.. Just cut the bloomin thing. Or bend it a couple of times. Good grief, why do you try and complicate everything???????
I agree totally, but ....
The busbar is FLAT ... The pipe cutter is designed to cut into round pipe. You can rub the flat busbar up against your pipe cutter thing as much as you like, but it isn't going to do anything to it, except get a bit hot. ...
That isn't strictly true. Although not designed for the job, a standard pipe cutter can be quite useful for scoring flat bars (metal or plastic) up to about 1.5cm wide (wider with some cutter designs).

Kind Regards, John
Edit: units typo corrected!

Any tips/gotchas/whatever-you-do-don't-do...s for cutting insulated CU busbars?

I had planned to just use a hacksaw with the work clamped either side to stop the plastic cover moving about....

Any tips/gotchas/whatever-you-do-don't-do...s for cutting insulated CU busbars?

I had planned to just use a hacksaw with the work clamped either side to stop the plastic cover moving about....

Come on......

I'm dyin' to know why a bus bar would be insulated? Not being an electition an all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back