cutting bus bars - how do you do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to cut a bus bar to length?
I use a hacksaw but I seem to have an issue cutting the damn thing striaght.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you only have to go part way through and then bend it.

You can get cutters with extra pivots for more leverage.

Sponsored Links
Damn it why does my old man have to be right about everything!! GRRRR. What will I do without him. :oops:

Oh. i've just had a look at them and I forgot that the jaws stay parallel when cutting.

That's what Dad's are for.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

Similar to these pliers but mine have usual 'rubber' handles.

p33211Group_cmyk.jpg

What is the best way to cut a bus bar to length?
I use a hacksaw but I seem to have an issue cutting the damn thing striaght.

Score it either side, then use mole grips and pliers either side of the score and gentle up down movement, snap!

Your bus bars must be thinner than mine. I normally wrap insulation tape around it first which then gives me the line. And I use a hack saw if in middle of no where.

However I have used a cut off saw (often referred to as bacon slicer) how ever one has to be careful about heat and really one needs a special disc to cut the copper aluminium mix as it can block the pours of the disc.

I have also had problems with compression with the copper sheaved aluminium at first thought just not tight enough but then realised as it heats up it compresses the aluminium core then when it cools again it becomes loose. Using large washers to radiate the heat seemed to cure the problem.

I just use a mini pipe cutter done up tight to score the bar and then use a hacksaw. The hacksaw will take the easiest route through the bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back