Cutting curves in wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best method for cutting circles in tiles?

I need to cut a hole in my shower tiles (which have not been fitted yet) in order to fit a recessed shower valve and the fixed shower head. The hole for the valve needs to be 5.5cm and the faceplate is 3cm larger all round so any dodgy cutting will be hidden behind this.

Showervalve.jpg

My plumber thinks that this is going to be tricky as the tiles are quite thin (4mm) :confused:

Is it advisable to cut them as I am tiling or after and then cut thru once all the tiling has been completed? Is there a preferred method which won't crack the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Diamond blade in an angle grinder every time. Make a slight cut through from the face of the tile, then finish the cut from the back.
Make the cut off the wall and on a few sheets of cardboard or a sheet of mdf.

Will it be in the centre of a tile, or between tiles. If its on the edge of tiles you can nibble it, daisy chain drill it. Rather than buy a disc to use once.

Yes the hole will be between tiles.

An angle grinder :eek: to cut out a 5.5cm circle. Seems a bit unwieldy. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that gcol!!!

I like the sound of daisy chaining with a drill. What type of drill bit should I go for? masonry (make sure I don't set it on hammer action!!!)?

Sponsored Links
Just Googled to see if there was any type of contraption invented for this and found a 'circle tile cutter' which fits onto a drill. It has a Tungsten Carbide blade and a big orange cage type wheel thing around it.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'll splash out and buy one if it does the job. Found that ebay does the cheapest.

Can't be much of a tiler ;)

For say a 60mm hole then a diamond coated holesaw will be easiest, I get mine from here as they are cheap but most tile shops do them now as well as the sheds. Just lay the two tiles together and drill as one.

If they are just 4mm ceramics they could be nibbled with a parrot tooth nibbler or easily cut with a rotazip or dremel with tile cutting attachment. Or even just a simple tile saw will do.

the cutter you have seen will work OK if the hole is in the center of a tile but the intermittant cut trying to do half & half will chip the tile and the cutter will jump about.

Jason

Thanks Jasonb,

Just one more bit of advice please, would it be better to drill the hole once the tiling is complete and the adhesive has set or should the tile be cut prior to fixing up?

As the mixer is usually built into the wall and tiled over I don't see how you can drill after tiling, unless you have access from behind.

Jason

amandaclegg said:
My plumber thinks that this is going to be tricky as the tiles are quite thin (4mm) :confused:
Jasonb said:
Can't be much of a tiler.
Who said he was? ;)

amandaclegg said:
An angle grinder to cut out a 5.5cm circle. Seems a bit unwieldy. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that gcol!!!
I've done smaller than that. ;) As you said you have an extra 3cm wide plate all round, you could easy do that - you could almost cut a hexagon! As the hole is split over 2 tiles it's even easier!

Jasonb said:
As the mixer is usually built into the wall and tiled over I don't see how you can drill after tiling, unless you have access from behind.

Jason

Actually I do ;) I convinced my OH that the doorway positioned behind the shower should be left instead of plastering over it, as a nifty access door. So I can fit the aquapanel and tile it and the plumber will still be able to fit the gubbins after.

gcol said:
you could almost cut a hexagon! As the hole is split over 2 tiles it's even easier!

Actually that sounds workable. I have a dremel too, maybe there is a special bit for cutting ceramic. I'll google that now.

Thanks for the all the ideas folks :D

amandaclegg said:
I have a dremel too, maybe there is a special bit for cutting ceramic.
Jasonb said:
If they are just 4mm ceramics they could be nibbled with a parrot tooth nibbler or easily cut with a rotazip or dremel with tile cutting attachment.
;)

Just Googled to see if there was any type of contraption invented for this and found a 'circle tile cutter' which fits onto a drill. It has a Tungsten Carbide blade and a big orange cage type wheel thing around it.

I bought one of these for exactly the same reasons you need one and regret it. Tried it once, as soon as the orbital blade bit, the tile cracked in half. Maybe it's my poor technique, but that was the last time I tried using it.

Eventually, I got a professional tile cutter with a hole drilling attachment for it - made a dozen or so holes up to 6cm diameters with it without problems, but it's not going to work for you if your hole spans 2 tiles :cry:

Thanks for the advice Schnitz, I'd already decided not to get it anyway - my instincts told me it would be no good!

I've ordered a Dremel tile cutting bit so I'll give that a go when it arrives.

I'll report back after I've tested it :confused:

As promised an update.

The Dremel tile cutting bit worked but I doubt it will have much mileage. It seemed to get more and more blunt as it went along and in the end I resorted to a normal drill for the drill bit cos there wasn't enough power in the dremel :confused: Made a hell of a noise too!

It was necessary to use a sawing motion tho which may have contributed to it blunting :rolleyes:

I cut the tiles before they were fixed to the wall as this seemed more practical. I clamped them gently onto to pieces of plaster board to give the bit something to go into.

So thumbs up I suppose cos it did the job I bought it for (only 3 tiles!) but I'd probably need to get another one for any subsequent jobs so only 5/10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back