Cutting down a interior door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I havnt got a circular saw but do have a electric planer. I need to remove around 10mm of the top and bottom of a timber door. I used the electric planer before and its very violent and creates lots of rough edges and splits the wood very easy (was roughly cutting down the old doors when new carpets went it) it was the cheapest one homebase had. Problem is I live in a small flat and there is no where inside really to use something that throws lots of saw dust everywhere.

Questions are, I have a new fine toothed hand saw, could this be used to trim the doors?

Also are there any metal braces/screws in a timber door? when i trimmed the hollow panel doors I hit a metal brace only after taking off a few mm!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could use the electric planer taking small ammounts from each side thus reducing chip out.
or if your feeling fit use the handsaw,you may well hit any staples that are used to fix the ply/hardboard panells to the frame work of the door.
bear in mind that the frame work is only about an inch thick all round(if egg box type door).

The plane only splits timber if use incorrectly, you should work in from both ends , never running off the edge/corner.The vertical ends [end grain] of the door frame need 3-4 passes more than the base .Set blade at 1mm or less and take your time.

At least I know why it was splitting, I was running it from one end to the other!

Problem is, it makes such a mess, im my tiny flat :confused:

The doors im buying will be solid wood. If I wanted to go down the handsaw route and I right in thinking solid timber door dont have staples in the joins, just glued?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
You should not hit any obstructions, better to take the 20mm off the bottom unless you have a warped frame.You should have a bag on the planer or you can fit vacuum. Why not do it outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back