Cutting down a door without removing it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting laminate with underlay and the front door needs to be cut down considerably. I was wondering whether there was a way to do this without removing it. It's quite heavy. I have found a jamb saw but that is specifically for jambs and not the doors themselves.

I was thinking about buying not the electric version but the handheld version and gradually cut into the door that way.

I would say at least an inch needs to come off.

What do you guys think ?

Sponsored Links
I'm fitting laminate with underlay and the front door needs to be cut down considerably. I was wondering whether there was a way to do this without removing it. It's quite heavy. I have found a jamb saw but that is specifically for jambs and not the doors themselves.

I was thinking about buying not the electric version but the handheld version and gradually cut into the door that way.

I would say at least an inch needs to come off.

What do you guys think ?

Carpet layers have such saws. A track saw might work as they usually have the blade close to the edge of the base.

In reality though, theres little chance of cutting the whole length of the door. Chipping out is likely.

Personally I would say less hassle to remove the door and do it laid down

A few weeks ago I cut down a door in situ using a Multicutter. The side I was on looks fine, but the other side has a wavy shape. I wish I had removed the door and planed it!

Sponsored Links
An inch? That's some chunky laminate :). I'd vote for taking the door off and doing it properly- router (if you've got one) and a straight edge will give you a nice clean cut (but work from both sides so you don't splinter the corner)

It's quite heavy.

You might consider re-hanging on lift off hinges (preferably stainless for an external door). They make it very much easier to take off and replace a door, though to be fair you do have the extra effort of fitting the new hinges.

The more modern lift-offs, as used on fire doors, have a short, thick, pointed pin and you don't have to lift the door as far up as you used to with old rising butts.

Hi-Load is a good hinge.

My doors are very heavy and I find the lift-offs a great benefit. They usually have a bronze bush and swing like silk.

I posted a similar question

In the end I used a borrowed festool track saw and bought two clamps to fix it to the door.

I had considered hiring a door trimmer at £50

https://www.speedyservices.com/15_0433-h-door-trimming-saw

Just to say that as I'm a gadget man I couldn't resist trying the door trimmer. I actually didn't know a tool existed purely for the purpose. Ended up renting it from that company and after a bit of preparation I ran the tool across the door in two depths. The end result came out very well. My only critiscm is the lack of dust extraction for that particular model. Thanks again for the suggestions and everyone for commenting.

dewalt track saw cuts 11mm from the face to the back off the blade so say 3 strips off 6mm[5.5mm]ply on the floor will give you an inch off
prop the door open at 90 degrees
set the blade plunge to door thickness plus 2mm
make sure there is no curve along the cut[dip or bump] to avoid binding or kickback
mark on the machine blade gaurd the position off the fully plunged blade and use this as a guide

no probs. I only knew about it after seeing fitters at work use one.
A festool creates massive dust, but I have a vacuum that I use for DIY so fitted that.

Saw a workmate permeate a lady's cupboard full of clothes with a lovely pine fragrance using a track saw. She was not amused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back