cutting / fitting kitchen worktop

S

snadge

I have a question in advance of installing our new kitchen (which is sitting in living room waiting for kitchen to be plastered) - we have 3 x 2.4m worktops that are IKEA numerar style (wood) - but one of the worktop lengths is 2.55m so a cut&join needs to be introduced somewhere into it - can anyone help advise the best arrangement for the worktops AND place the join? and also, what is best method of cutting worktops for but-up join finish?

see my drawing below

the room is 320cm x 270cm

thanks

fd64uh.jpg

Sponsored Links
You really have not got much choice as to where you put the join. You only have a 55cm piece available so the joint will go somewhere by the cooker. If the cooker position is variable I would make the joint at the left end of the cooker, that way you would only have a short joint showing front and back of cooker. If you position the cooker 55cm from the junction you will have one less cut. As far as method of cutting is concerned, that depends on your skill level. Kitchen fitters would use a router but as an experienced joiner I would use a handsaw, a jigsaw will not cut square but you could use a fine toothed circular saw from the underside.

You really have not got much choice as to where you put the join. You only have a 55cm piece available so the joint will go somewhere by the cooker. If the cooker position is variable I would make the joint at the left end of the cooker, that way you would only have a short joint showing front and back of cooker. If you position the cooker 55cm from the junction you will have one less cut. As far as method of cutting is concerned, that depends on your skill level. Kitchen fitters would use a router but as an experienced joiner I would use a handsaw, a jigsaw will not cut square but you could use a fine toothed circular saw from the underside.

thanks,
im a bit lost, where do you mean 55cm from junction? and how would it be one less cut? (sorry for not understanding)
from the join to left worktop? - the oven is in >120cm-180cm< along the back wall and cant be moved - so worktop on left is 62cm wide that means from that join to the cooker/hob is 58cm

i have no experience with cutting worktops - i have handsaw and circular saw but its a cheapo one and the guide is sh1te - i tried to use it cutting the door liners but it wouldnt run 90' straight so i went in without it and circular saw certainly doesnt cut straight without the guide hgaha - benchsaw? i should just pay someone to do it properly

thanks

Your left hand piece of worktop goes through to the wall. From the edge of that to the cooker is the dimension I am talking about. The 55cm is the piece cut off from your left hand worktop, if you use this as is you only need to cut your cooker side worktop to fit. You could of course use the full length of your cooker side but that would leave a short piece (15cm).
As far as cutting is concerned, if you are confident with a sharp handsaw, and can cut straight and square then that is the way to go. If not, find a local carpenter/ Joiner to cut it for you.

Sponsored Links
im just looking at my measurements and your suggestion this would mean we need 4 lengths of worktop cos the gap your on about is actually 58cm wide for us - she says theres spacer in somewhere so could possibly be moved

but, were on about putting it at bottom of sink worktop cos right at bottom (bottom of my drawing) there is gunna be a cupboard unit right up to ceiling just about to house the boiler... no one would see it there.. do this by allowing the sink worktop run wall-to-wall and the cooker worktop in-between the two other worktops

what do you think about that idea?

thanks

good old ikea strike again only doing 2.4m worktops.
Personally speaking I would put the sink length upto the wall behind the cooker and piece in a bit to the right of the sink or lose a bit there and the unit below and put a freestanding fridge freezer there , or better still take the worktops back and buy some from somewhere else where you can get a 3m length

I'd go and buy a 3mtr worktop [and use the spare as a coffee table]?

yeah we could just work it in on the sink side like i said - putting join at bottom where tall cupboard unit is going to sitting ON the worktop to hide the boiler , so thats probably best

see my drawing below

what do you think?

we got the kitchen on credit at IKEA so dont think they will let us return the worktops? could try - i dunno if we would be able to get a 3m length of same worktop from elsewhere would we?

vid4ef.jpg

its crunch time: we are just about onto this... we are thinking of putting the cut under the sink drainer (which is on the left side) - and manually supporting it - we are putting a old cupboard unit (like a large white shelf) at the end of the run to support it so it has a gable end, and fixing a few braces (90 degrees) under it for extra support - the 3 bolts will pull it to the existing worktop thats supported by units because there will be no units under this cut... a washer and dish washer, we do want to install a cupboard above to hide the ugly boiler and its pipes - this is where were needing advice as i think it will support the weight no problem but want other opinions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back