Cutting high branches with pruning saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used a ladder and Stihl multi tool with extension to cut a large branch. Cut it in small sections , cutting wedges so not to jam saw. Had helmet on but any safety advice regarding falling branches coming down?

Does the blade look loose (in photo)?

20211125_131817.jpg
20211125_132839.jpg
20211125_131817.jpg
20211125_103656.jpg

Sponsored Links
I believe that the recommendation for cutting branches is that you should first undercut the limb.
Then you can cut from the top, or side, but the undercut stops the branch tearing as it leaves the tree.

Is it even the right way round on branch when cutting? It is very far from my body compared to a normal chain saw

Sponsored Links
I had one of those, but I found it easier to just get a ladder out, lash the top to the tree trunk and use a bow saw to cut branches. Cutting behind me, one handed - the heavy branch would snap clear of me, but still hinged if green. Finally a second cut closer to the trunk to take the short bit off. Always one hand to cling to the ladder.

Chain saw only brought out for the larger stuff and only once on the ground.

20211126_161911.jpg
The arrow indicates the direction of travel of the chain and the bottom (cutting side) of the bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back