Cutting kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was cutting a worktop the other day,when I made my first pass for the male joint at 5mm depth,all was well,when I plunged the cutter a bit further down,it chipped the laminate slightly,just below the bullnose,seven more times this happened before I used my jigsaw.Not had that before,even used a brand new bit.Cutting the female joint wasn't a problem.Help???

Sponsored Links
sounds like you were trying to cut to much in one go or you were cutting the wrong direction.

i always take 3 cuts, 1 to remove the edge, then cut to 2mm short of finish and then finally the last 2mm.

also use a large diameter 1/2" router and bit as find 1/4" ones chatter slightly.

working clockwise (from left to right)
1. cut female with router on top of worktop starting at bullnose
2. cut male with router on underside of worktop (turn worktop upside down) starting at bullnose again.

cut out as much worktop as not to force the router

When using a router and jig set up. 3 passes is ok, but make sure all those passes are to the waste side of the jig. Then do 1 last pass on the work side of the jig. This will then only touch the laminate on the work side once, stopping any chipping..

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps,I will try all methods suggested with some offcuts,appreciate your help.Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back