Cutting Uncalibrated Slate Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Merry Christmas everyone.

A bit of a newbie to tiling and cut my teeth on my first tiling project (ceramic tiles), some basic tiling around a sink.

Now need to tile a porch step and I've got some uncalibrated slate tiles, see link:

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod1070/black-slate-uncalibrated-30x30-tile.html

I've got a manual cutter similar to the one below which was good enough for a sink and ceramic tiles.
http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46148/rubi-practic-40-with-lateral-stop.html

I'm not sure I've got the right tools for this job. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
yeah, an basic elec cutter can be rented for the day.depends on how many tiles your going to lay. the slate you show is for indoors and all slate will be slippy on steps.
you should cleanan seal before laying and clean out the joins as you go.
use recom powder adhesive not mastic in tubs.butter the tile backs and step surfac.
keep a bucket of clean ater an a sponge handy.
use your level to give a 2mm fall on treads.
uncalibrated wont be easy for first time

Sponsored Links
yes your right if he has one the 115mm angle grinder is best way to go.

Not had a chance for a proper in depth read but try and get a geared motor if possible. One job and my basic electric packed up (bad handling on my part) which I'm pretty sure a geared motor would of dealt with.

your a diy sso get the cheapest elec cutter possible. same with a snap cutter if you go for one. go cheap and practice outside wearing goggles.

I bought a cheap Titan one and it's managed to survive tiling my kitchen floor, walls and bathroom.
If you are planning to do more tiling the one you linked to would be a good investment.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the feedback. Was reading some reviews and it mentions that the cutter had chipped tiles. Want to spend a little bit more as I expect to use it on other jobs. Can anyone recommend any other brands and models? I'm thinking around £60 to £100.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back