CV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What should the headings be on a CV? I want to stay away from the usual boring "hobbies/interests" poo lol.

I'm applying for a retail management training programme, for which demand is high but places are limited.

Someone mentioned a "skills profile" in which I list my skills and give a brief description of where and how I acquired those skills. She emailed me her CV and it does look good, i'm using this idea, but what are the other headings I need to include?

Also, should a CV be generic for any application? Should I put in additional bits relevant to this application? Or should these be left in the covering letter?

I have got a pretty good chance of getting on this programme, but I need to sell myself lol. (I've seen some of the people who have been on this programme, thick as 2 short ones, so they should snap me up lol)

Any advice and tips / comments on writing a good CV appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
not sure about the headings, but definetly tailor it to the post you are applying to. It will get looked at very quickly and a covering letter is just that. If its worthy of going on the cv then put it on there.

Forget the retail malarky.If all these office wallers and plumbers can re-train to be sparkies then I'm sure with some of the knowledge you display on here you'd breeze it and be a valuble asset to the electrical industry.(I'm in a good mood tonight ;) )

Sponsored Links
You could do it with Position & Dates/Responsibilities/Achievements per job.:

H1: Assistant Manager, Runcorn Main Street branch, 12/99 to present

H2: Responsibilities
Blah blah blah blah blah, stock control and ordering (mention the stuff that is your basic job) deputise for Branch Manager during absences, perform staff training, blah blah blah; managed working rotas and out of hours cover blah blah blah (embed in here responsibilities that carry you towards the position you want to advance to, and show that you have been trusted to do them)

H2: Achievements
Blah blah blah using knowledge gained in Runcorn Chamber of Commerce Junior Chamber (hint at outside-the-job work related interests that put you above the other candidates) redesigned gondola display and aisle themes during key Christmas period (something to do with recognised wider objective of service and profitability) and cut shrinkage from 12% to 8% (Achievements measurable)

H2: Training and Qualifications:
Full CWS training plan for Team leaders and Junior Managers in retail Stores (assuming they'll have an idea what it is); NVQ in pilfering and retail studies; London Chamber of Commerce certificates in food handling; health and safety in the workplace; certificate in First Aid at Work

H1: Hired Hand at ASDA bacon counter 08/97 to 12/99

H2: Responsibilities
blah blah blah (something typical with a few extras to show how bright you are)

H2: Achievements: blah blah blah

H2: Training and Qualifications:
blah blah blah completed induction training, passed tests in bacon slicing and sweeping up

H1: Cemetery Street College 09/95 - 07/97
HND in Retail Trades; all segments passed including (whatever)

Check the dates to see that there are no unexplained gaps when you were in prison or selling drugs on the street.

No one takes the "interests" section seriously once you have an employment record. But avoid ones that are seen too often: Reading; Watching TV, Gaming; Bingo. If you say squash and 5-a-side be prepared to justify it and qualify it (Runner-Up, West Riding All-comers cup 2005).
If you can put one team/sociable thing, and one intellectual study thing that will be good. But nothing that they will think puts demands on your time (area treasurer for mentally handicapped gerbils association of great Britain). If you happen to know the personal profile they are looking for, put something that matches. they will want to chat to you about your interests so make them true and have something to say.

Crafty said:
That's another question . . . what do I put in a covering letter? :cool:
Very little, chapter & verse will not be read.
Ensure it looks good, justified correctly, no fancy fonts, no colours, no smelling misstakes :LOL:

Thankyou so much JohnD.

How long did that take to write?!?! :LOL:

Why Runcorn? We have a branch there. It was on 2 pints once, they did a walk-past scene. :LOL:

Crafty,

Yes, definately tailor your CV to the job applied for. I'm being made redundant within the next month and have prepared my CV for job apps (not applied for anything yet mind!). I've got 4 versions, all similar but tweaked towards different roles. Each is only a template and will be tailored further to suit the position I'm applying for.

I can't figure out how to e-mail you but if you can let me know how then I'll happily send you a copy of mine so you can use the bits you like.

It is important to note that there's no right and wrong way of formatting it though - everyone has their own opinions and ultimately it's what you're comfortable with that's the deciding factor.

Regards

Fred

Gotta concur with the others. Keep it brief so as they don't get board reading it but not to short as they think you havn't done owt!

I've been told that short, punchy sentances that explain your skills etc go over a heck of a lot better than sodding great reams of crap. If they have a few hundred CV's to get through, they're probably going to make up their minds about you after the first skim-read. A bit hard to do if you've nodded of because some norbert is rambling on about his pidgeon fancying and membership of the 'lesser worthington amature leaf spotters association'. :eek:

Also, try and find out a bit about the people interviewing/selecting you. Shouldn't bee too hard: they're obviously going to be knuckle dragging management weenies so talk about Blackberries and net worth statistics and you'll be well away! ;)

We get people sending their CVs to us instore from time to time, and some of them are just so obviously done with a template on Microsoft word - and American spellings and other blatant errors. I'm well on my way with this CV now! :D

Wanabechippie, I am going to email the lady who runs the course on monday, to ask her for some more info about the programme. I only know the basics, but as you say, getting to know the people that matter is key. I'm already friendly with a couple of the area managers too. Eww, whats this brown stuff on my nose . . . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Crafty said:
Thankyou so much JohnD. How long did that take to write?!?!

...more CVs than I've had hot dinners, or, indeed, hot babes ;)

Crafty said:
Why Runcorn? We have a branch there. It was on 2 pints once, they did a walk-past scene. :LOL:

I've seen it on the telly. It's somewhere North of Guildford, must be near you :LOL:

Besides all the points already mentioned: make it stand out, write a remarkable story about something you have done/learned etc to show you're something different.

Why is size 12 writing in openoffice bigger than size 12 in microsoft office?!

WoodYouLike, thanks for that. But I think i've got it off to a tee now. Finished! Just need 2 referees to put on it . . . Since I'm applying internally, would store managers do as referees? Or an area manager? :confused:

If you are in current or recent employment, one referee should be your current or most recent boss.

The other one can be someone who knows you well, and is for some reason likely to give a good impression.

The covering letter is an attempt to get the CV read - so make sure it is to the point, and perfectly spelled / laid out etc. Make reference to the advert if possible and point the reader to your CV. e.g "Your advert for an abc interests me greatly. As you can see from my attached CV I have relevant experience in the field of abc'ing and am very keen to progress my career with yyyy etc etc"

The CV is an attempt to get an interview - so make sure it is absolutely specific to the job for which you are applying.

Probably the most important part of the CV is your 'Profile' ie a relatively short paragraph at the top of page 1 which describes you and why you would be perfect for the position. This needs to be 100% based on the advert - eg If the advert says 'We are looking for a progressive, forward thinking manager", your profile basically needs to say "I am a progressive, forward thinking manager etc etc etc".

The rest of your CV (which should be 2 pages max and simply/clearly set out) should then provide relevant evidence of your suitability. Emphasise experience which is relevant, suppress stuff that's not.

Unless applying for an 'arty' type of job (Marketing / graphic design / media etc) then keep to simple black and white, easy on the eye layouts, printed on a decent printer on decent paper.

Older applicants would be perhaps better off summerising their early career (unless it's currently relevant) for a couple of reasons - 1, lots of jobs looks bad. 2 - It takes up space which could be better filled with more relevant detail.

Younger applicants will need to maximise whatever experience they have and make more of any voluntary / part-time work that they have done.

remember the three steps, Letter to get the CV looked at - CV to get you the interview - Interview gets you the job.

Of course this is only my opinion / experience......

Sponsored Links
Back