Cycle to work scheme

This is much better spec than the Kona, just don't let them build it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...rdman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5

However, I agree a hard tail perhaps something with a 120-130mm travel. Minimum budget for a Full sus is 2-2.5k, though there are a few at around the 1,500 quid mark. The problem you will get with any budget full sus is that the rear wont have any kind of lock or anti-pedal bob device, so when you are climbing it will nod like a rocking horse.

If you don't mind chipping in a bit - the Whyte 901 is very well spec'd and a fantastic trail bike. With 130mm forks, and a bit of practice you'll be able to out pace an entry level full sus on everything but the steepest of trails.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately halfords are not part of the the cycle to work scheme they run their own.

Going back to your original post, exactly who was telling about the relevant tiers - your post seems to imply it was the shop, in which case, find another one. And if it is your company, you may not get very far as you're not actually using it to get to work; so you may need to grovel or sweet talk the idiot, and show them the salary sacrifice scheme to see if they can get their head round it.

Sponsored Links
It's work that have teared it, but they are blaming the scheme/tax laws.

You’re getting very close to christmas bike pricing. maybe time to look at a used bike. Some good deals on 26” wheeled bikes around. as they are out of fashion

And I assume that you've shown them the site, and asked them to explain their interpretation of it.

The employer can put a cap on it if they choose, its to do with the tax rate.

No it isn't, it's a salary scrifice scheme, so it gets taken out of your salary before tax is calculated; and that's why it's odd that the company is trying to define it as a tax rate concept.

Remember, you are hiring the bike from your employer not paying off a loan.

They are saving NI on the reduction but taking a risk that you won’t want the bike after.

Remember, you are hiring the bike from your employer not paying off a loan

Effectively yes, it's designed on a Hire Purchase scheme, so the company owns the bike until title is trasferred at the end of the loan period. But because they own the bike until that final payment, then they'd be free to sell the bike, and make a nice profit on the loan. Not that I can see that happening; there's more danger that the employee would quit before the loan has been paid off, and cycle off with the bike - which would be theft of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it’s an unusual restriction almost an attempt to create a company bike hirachy like some old fashioned company car scheme.

By the way (picky mode) it’s strictly speaking Conversion not theft, since at some point you had lawful possession.

By the way (picky mode) it’s strictly speaking Conversion not theft, since at some point you had lawful possession.

No problem with picky mode from you Motobiking; can you explain the conversion bit though.

yes it’s an unusual restriction
sorry, what part are you referring to here.

Having a tiered Cycle to work scheme - is an unusual restriction. My thinking is that the job category the OP is in, includes people on low pay or close to minimum wage and therefore the £1000 sacrifice might cause the employer a risk of paying below minimum wage, or triggering working tax credits, particularly if they are offering other sacrifice options. Having wide categories for employees according to job, helps defend against a view that its discriminatory or humiliating to that small group of people. The OP may be grouped in that category for that reason, even if he is earning well above those limits.

Theft & conversion (also known as Trover): theft is a criminal matter - there was always a criminal dishonest intent (either via fraud or simply stealing). Conversion is where possession (but not title) was gained lawfully, but at some later point, that person decides to sell it, destroy it, give it away, or keep it for himself.

theft. - See section (1) - defined here : https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/crossheading/definition-of-theft

Conversion. - See section (1) and (2,2) defined here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/32

Last edited:
Having a tiered Cycle to work scheme - is an unusual restriction

I don't think there is a tiered scheme, I think either the company have misunderstood how the scheme works, or don't want to risk one of the plebs with a £1k loan - or they're thick.

Sponsored Links
Back