Cyclists.

Sponsored Links
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...r-cyclists-after-attack/ar-BBVndn6?li=BBoPWjQ

Not just number plates, insurance, road tax and licensing as well. Especially the idiots that belong to cycling clubs that ride 10 or more abreast down road.
Yes...its a serious issue...4 people killed by cyclists....as opposed to 25k deaths and injuries by RTA's.10 abreast...ram the fekers off the road,,hurl abuse,,death threats,spit at them etc,,,the usual sht from nobends in cars

Yes...its a serious issue...4 people killed by cyclists....as opposed to 25k deaths and injuries by RTA's.10 abreast...ram the fekers off the road,,hurl abuse,,death threats,spit at them etc,,,the usual sht from nobends in cars

Steady on chap, don't throw stones in your green house.

Sponsored Links
I often ride on the pavement to escape from the trunting car drivers. Sort out the twunts driving manner and attitude then I'll gladly use the roads more.

Pavement = paved surface i.e. road, cycle tracks, pedestrian ways, tow paths.
Walkway or path = Route for pedestrians which may not be paved.

Seems it's mainly down to signs, and some believe these signs don't apply to cyclists and must admit because of poor signs where the national cycle routes if followed take cyclist contra flow to other traffic showing one way signs don't apply to cyclists. Also the red circle means no vehicles, but red circle with car and motor bike in it means no vehicles other than cycles.

So we have blue circular signs with a bike on them that means cycles must follow the route, however often there are no signs cancelling these. So the cyclist even if the most pubic spirited person simply does not know where he should ride.
OK there are bad cyclists and bad motorists and bad pedestrians no excuse for them, however using a pedal cycle I feel same rules as for mobility scooters should apply. So under 4 MPH you should not use road, and at 8 MPH you should not use a walkway, unless signs show otherwise.

I feel the enforced shared cycle path and walkway needs care by both users, walking 6 abreast is just as bad as riding 6 abreast. I use cycle ways a lot, however where bars obstruct the cycle path, or there is a series of drop pavements to allow cars to join roads from their drives, or even cars habitually parked on the cycle paths then it is common sense for the cyclist to disregard instructions.

Where I live in North Wales council puts up many signs saying you must ride on pavement, and rarely put up signs end of cycle path. You do get "Not cycling on the walkway" then they fail to identify which bit of pavement is walk way and which is cycle way, and written in English only. We all know if not written in Welsh it's not valid.

The rules say at moment no electric motor must give assistance over 16.5 MPH it must be no bigger than 250 watt and you must have assistance only over 4 MPH only under 4 MPH can you simply use a thumb switch. Otherwise it's considered a motor vehicle. You have three speeds, under 4 MPH, between 4 and 8 MPH, and under 16 MPH but no one has actually made signs or even included in the high way code where these speeds apply.

I consider if there is no motor vehicle road alongside the cycle way or there is a clear line showing what section is for cycles and which is for pedestrians then as fast as you like, if there is not demarcation mark but it is clearly a cycle/pedestrian route then 8 MPH, and if the cyclist is allowed to use motor vehicle pavement then on pedestrian pavement 4 MPH. But there are no rules to say this.

I didn't read the article, but cyclists are not required to stop and exchange details following an accident , comply with most speed limits or adhere to many of the driving standard criteria for offences.

Pavement is not straight forward. It is defined in the highways act and is adjacent to a road. Footpaths are normally fair game as they express right of way not the other way around. A person may have a right of way on foot, does not mean that a cyclist can be prosecuted for riding on it.

"Lord Winston, the fertility expert"

What suddenly makes him an expert on cyclists, apart from anecdotal evidence?
(would love to hear about how he proposes 'enforcement')

Maybe he should stick to what he apparently knows about, and go 'procreate' with himself!

I didn't read the article, but cyclists are not required to stop and exchange details following an accident , comply with most speed limits or adhere to many of the driving standard criteria for offences.
But why stop at cyclists?

Mobility scooter riders
Skateboarders
Kids on scooters
Roller skaters
Inline skaters...

Even bipeds who step into roads cause accidents...

Insist on Licences/Taxation/Insurance for them all !

Have you been looking at American dictionaries?
I have worked on pavers all my working life, dirty horrid machines, unless laying dry lean. OK we called them barbergreens, but it simply means a hard durable surface has been laid.

As with many words there meaning can be changed over time and we come to think of a transformer as either a wire wound device or some film.

However most link back to Greek or Latin or French and from the A550 we have at least two pavements to Chester both no where near motorised traffic routes so not adjacent to a road, and of course you would need to define road. Even footpath it is not a right of way, unless so marked on the land register. Now bridal path was defined as a right of way for motorcycles, horses, and pedestrians but in most cases now do not allow motorcycles any more.

Mobility scooter riders
Skateboarders
Kids on scooters
Roller skaters
Inline skaters...
If we look at first group, they are split into three, up to 4 MPH, up to 8 MPH, and up to 15 MPH and insurance and road tax is required for last group. The problem is a racing cyclist doing 25 MPH is a danger on the combined cycle/pedestrian way, but a child doing 3 MPH would be a danger mixed with motorised transport, so simple way is a speed limit on combined cycle/pedestrian ways.

For mobility scooters it's not the speed that is the problem, it's the weight, I know my mother an amputee was about to run into some people so I stood between her and people so she hit me instead, it did not hurt, I was surprised I expected it to, but smooth surface and very little power or weight it simply stopped. This was at the time the largest 4 MPH model that would dismantle to carry it. However the 8 MPH models are far stronger and weigh far more, they may have a flick switch that puts them into 4 MPH mode, however if they hit you they will hurt.

So locally we have a guy who goes to pub on his 8 MPH scooter on the motorised traffic section, mainly as can't go up/down curbs, but it is a legal requirement to use the motorised traffic section, but the pedestrian way is empty, so cars brake hard when they come to him, swerve to miss him, and he is a real menace, and danger, but he does it because the law says he must. Common sense says use the path, law says use the road, why can't we have some common sense?

Sponsored Links
Back