Cyclists.

The problem is a racing cyclist doing 25 MPH is a danger on the combined cycle/pedestrian way, but a child doing 3 MPH would be a danger mixed with motorised transport, so simple way is a speed limit on combined cycle/pedestrian ways.
There are a few idiots of course (as in all walks of life), but most are sensible.
I used to live in a town where the promenade was mixed access. There were a couple of near misses, so the local cycling clubs took it upon themselves to 'self police' the area.
Much better that than to simply try and legislate any problems away.
(Would love to hear how you would enforce a speed limit on cyclists btw!)

Common sense says use the path, law says use the road, why can't we have some common sense?
The same could be said about cycling in some areas, given the appalling state of the roads and the bad standards of some car/lorry drivers vis-a-vis cyclists!

An interesting (albeit slightly dated) report:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F02%2F20150224_Cyclists_Fo.jpg

Sponsored Links
While I'm pro cyclist, the above stat looks utter sh*te. The road systems, population density, standard of driver training etc etc. are highly unlikely to be comparable.

Its fundamentally quite simple. Is encouraging cycling a good idea? If it is, then we should not put obstacles in the way. Fundamentally there isn't much difference between a cycle and a moped. However our expectations of duty of care and safety are wildly different.

My wife uses a mobility scooter, (8mph version), and when we bought it we asked about driving on the road or the pavement. We were emphatically told by the mobility centre it was pavement use only unless crossing a road. She has insurance for theft/accident etc purely for her own peace of mind, but after a number of 'idiots' have walked past and then stepped across her path as she was travelling, I have fitted a mini dash-cam to save arguments.
Something else that annoys me is if we are away at a holiday park, and we need to go through double doors to access a facility, people will stand there while I try to hold open 2 doors whilst she tries to drive under my arms! FFS! Why not hold one of the doors open for me/her and she will get through quicker!

While I'm pro cyclist, the above stat looks utter sh*te.
Feel free to come up with anything that disproves those figures...

The idea is that "safety in numbers" is the reason. Namely that the more cyclists there are, the more aware motorists become...
Having more cyclists gives them a bigger voice, and thus safety becomes more of an issue.
(it took quite a few deaths involving lorries and cyclists before 'dead spots' and the need to fit side rails were realised)

And after all when comparing the accident rates of various forms of transport, percentages are usually worked out per 'X' amount of miles/km's travelled not the various conditions you mention.

Sponsored Links
While I'm pro cyclist, the above stat looks utter sh*te. The road systems, population density, standard of driver training etc etc. are highly unlikely to be comparable.

Its fundamentally quite simple. Is encouraging cycling a good idea? If it is, then we should not put obstacles in the way. Fundamentally there isn't much difference between a cycle and a moped. However our expectations of duty of care and safety are wildly different.
Having cycled in Denmark,,Netherlands Germany etc,,,I cannot believe how huge the difference is in Cycling infrastructure,and vastly different attitude of motorists,,,partly must be down to more people cycling there for sure."build it and they will come" seems to be unheard of here....just this obsession with taxing them..get off your ass and out of the car, less burden on NHS, ,save it fortunes,,,no stuff that for lateral thinking, tax em to piz em off

I fitted mirrors to my bike, however had to remove them again, as with them on it will not fit through the A frame devices fitted to stop motorcycles using cycle paths. It seems they should be 1 meter gap at bottom and 850 mm at 1.2 meter up the frame, however the county council have fitted them so with a 630 mm handle bar 900 mm from floor one has to angle the wheel and lift it off floor to get it through.

It seems cycle tracks are in the main a tick the box exercise and not designed to be used. We see signs national cycle route 5 for example, and then part way the route simply disappears, one can't magic the cycle from where route ends to where it restarts.

I thought in Chirk it would be nice to cycle down the canal tow path and join the Montgomery canal near enough traffic free, however although the Montgomery canal has a really good tow path most of the way to Welshpool and Newtown, the Shropshire union canal tow path is in a state, some bits are good, but some bits I would not want to lead a horse down it, and not suitable for riding a bike. The alternative road route is along the A5 which has no pavement and is a very busy road, not really safe to ride a bike on. It is the main London to Holyhead road.

So we come across the bunch of cyclists on the main road, and often reason is there is no usable alternative route.

So we come across the bunch of cyclists on the main road, and often reason is there is no usable alternative route.
Very true,,without car drivers too close,,impatient, difference is,,they hit you,, pretty much death or wheelchair for cyclist

should not be on the road imo the head down bum up brigade :LOL: and tbh some of em want banning off the road for what on what they are wearing

jeez us wept u seen some of these duffers and fruit cakes with there skin tight multi coloured lycra out fits tis obscene :LOL:

some of the ladies are fit so one could make an allowance for them ;) but the rest of em they can fox trot oscar out of it :LOL:

I often ride on the pavement to escape from the trunting car drivers. Sort out the twunts driving manner and attitude then I'll gladly use the roads more.

And where are the pedestrians supposed to go, to escape the "twunt" cyclists?

I cycled to work for a few months never again, you have to ride with eyes in the back of your head. It's scary how close some drivers get to cyclists.

I am baffled that anyone can think think a ton of metal, travelling at tens of miles per hour under self-motorisation, with dozens of horse power behind it, with a driver safely ensconsed behind impact bars and air bags, with air conditioning, heated seats and a media system, is somehow in the same league of social and environmental impact as a person pushing a pair of hoops with his legs and should warrant the same level of state regulation. Presumably rollerskates ought to be 'crushed and recycled' too.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back