Cyclists.

Sponsored Links
And where are the pedestrians supposed to go, to escape the "twunt" cyclists?
If you were a pedestrian and i asked you to walk on road instead of the pavement, i'm guessing you wouldn't, so why is it
ok for you to expect me to?

..I've often thought it would be great if the UK would build a network of properly-tarmacced / drained / lit cycle routes, completely separated from the other roads, solely for the use of cyclists to commute on.
It would be a large investment at first, but wear would be practically nil, so maintenance would be similarly so, and the benefits in health, mood, and reduction in wear on the "car" roads would be huge.
Some cities have utilised walkways, towpaths, etc at very little expense. Often the only requirement is for legal definition of the route, and signage.

I think you need to group cyclists in two groups (road users that is). Those that are happy at 10-15mph and those who are able to sustain 20-25mph. The faster will prefer to be on the road, usually because the quality of the tarmac is better.

Sponsored Links
If you were a pedestrian and i asked you to walk on road instead of the pavement, i'm guessing you wouldn't, so why is it
ok for you to expect me to?

I'm not expecting you to do anything, it was a question.

Fwiw, it is illegal to cycle on a pavement, but rarely enforced.

Some cities have utilised walkways, towpaths, etc at very little expense. Often the only requirement is for legal definition of the route, and signage.
I'm talking purpose-built, higher capacity, cycle "arterial route"-type provision so that, for the next 50 yrs, people can get to work (we still need face-to-face) in relative speed and comfort.
A towpath is good for a handful of people, but after that becomes a hobby or lifestyle choice, rather than a practical option.

anecdotally, admittedly from the experience of one - I found the London cycle super highways increased conflict for motorcycle and moped users as they narrowed the car lanes and had curbs that could easily be missed.

anecdotally, admittedly from the experience of one - I found the London cycle super highways increased conflict for motorcycle and moped users as they narrowed the car lanes and had curbs that could easily be missed.

Is that because they just subdivided the existing (overcrowded) roadway, rather than adding separately, as a solution?

In the suburbs of Derby and Shottingham the pavements were widened to create a cycle network on the main roads. In fact on one several mile stretch in Beeston (heading into Nottingham) the pavement is a long stretch wider than my lane on the road!

Where they're safe and easy to use (such as in the above example), cyclists should use the dedicated cycle path. All too often though they slow cyclists down as they have to continuously mount and dismount the pavement to negotiate junctions. Then there are the lanes which have been made out of existing roadway which then shrinks the carriageway making it difficult for HGVs and public transport vehicles.

My conclusion is that cycle networks are great in large cities such as Amsterdam, London, etc. where bicycle usage is very high, but for most cities the existing infrastructure and density of buildings means they can't work on a very large scale. Therefore we must all live in harmony on the roads and share.

(56year old, vegetarian, plumbers, from the North East)
Rofl .....vegan,,,ish,,,lycra,,,mmm..not much..hand gestures,,,,defo!!!..the full spectrum of those,,,with verbal version to!

I'm not expecting you to do anything, it was a question.

Fwiw, it is illegal to cycle on a pavement, but rarely enforced.
Well I hope you got the point which is why cyclist sometimes ride on the pavement.

I'm not worried by plod because i ride with courtesy (often by the police station) and treat pedestrians reasonably.

Sponsored Links
Back