Damaged bath repairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been a casual viewer of this site for several months now and thought it time to sign up especially since we have a question to ask.

We recently purchased a whirlpool bath from Bathstore. It is, however damaged. Unfortunately the plumber had left most of the protection on it whilst working on it and the tap holes were drilled before the protection was removed to reveal a crack in the far corner. Bathstore wont take it back because they are saying that we have accepted it by obviously drilling the holes in it.
They did, however, put us on to Magicman who can repair it for a cost of £125 plus VAT. My question is has anybody had an experience of this type of repair and would they recommended it or otherwise not recommend it. We have a dilemma, do we get the bath repaired or cut our losses and buy another bath (but this bath has since gone up in price). Other recommendations on cheap whirlpool baths or advice of any type would be gratefully received. If anyone would like to look at a photograph we can download a picture.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
We recently purchased a whirlpool bath from Bathstore. It is, however damaged. Unfortunately the plumber had left most of the protection on it whilst working on it and the tap holes were drilled before the protection was removed to reveal a crack in the far corner. Bathstore wont take it back because they are saying that we have accepted it by obviously drilling the holes in it.
Any sensible person would have left the protection on until the last moment to prevent accidental damage. The fact that you did not discover the damage until after you drilled the holes is irrelevant, particularly if the damage was not visible through the protection.

Give Consumer Direct (government funded consumer advice unit) a phone and ask their advice. Tel 08454 04 05 06. They were very helpful when I had a failed PC monitor.

Sadly I had one job where the MONKEY VAN DRIVERS buggered 4 shower trays and 2 basins :evil: :evil: Luckily it was my own house :rolleyes: and it wasn`t Bath Store . It is just the way this joke country is going now . Those 7 ton " lorry " drivers are the scum of the earth. Think they are in Hot bleedin hatches :rolleyes: IF I was doing an install I would want everything unwrapped and inspected/agreed with the client before I picked up a spanner .Sensible or not I would then guarantee any damage I did --I would replace . But then I`m just an old fart (not gas) plumber :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately in my time I've had to get a bath and shower tray repaired. The bath was damaged by a plasterer and I drilled a hole in the wrong side of a the shower tray (cough).

If you get a decent guy, after he has finished you will not be able to find where he has made the repair. Cost me about £90.

With regard to leaving the protective film on, I don't know many plumber that would take it off until you absolutely need to, so would be worth pursuing with Bathstore, at least for a contribution to the repair.

Unfortunately in my time I've had to get a bath and shower tray repaired. The bath was damaged by a plasterer and I drilled a hole in the wrong side of a the shower tray (cough).

If you get a decent guy, after he has finished you will not be able to find where he has made the repair. Cost me about £90.

With regard to leaving the protective film on, I don't know many plumber that would take it off until you absolutely need to, so would be worth pursuing with Bathstore, at least for a contribution to the repair.
Trust ME . you need to ...for the reasons I outlined

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back