damaging a ceramic soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im putting in some new footing around an existing old ceramic soil pipe. i've been advised not to encase the pipe in soil pipes in concrete (albeit only whilst it passes through 200mm thick of footings ) and try bridge over it. However, i've noticed the pipe has old mortar stuck to it and pretty much fixed in place at the moment. Do i try to chip away at the old mortar - and risk cracking the pipe - or get the segment replaced? , or just encase the 200mm section with new footing ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, im putting in some new footing around an existing old ceramic soil pipe. i've been advised not to encase the pipe in soil pipes in concrete (albeit only whilst it passes through 200mm thick of footings ) and try bridge over it. However, i've noticed the pipe has old mortar stuck to it and pretty much fixed in place at the moment. Do i try to chip away at the old mortar - and risk cracking the pipe - or get the segment replaced? , or just encase the 200mm section with new footing ?
It depends how the pipe is positioned in relation to the foundations, that determines the course of action. Regardless, the foundation bottom needs to be deeper than the pipe.
One can either wrap the pipe in compressible material, bridge over it or shutter it off.

We opted for full shutter on our latest job so that we could continue to work on the pipes after the conc' was poured....

Sponsored Links
Back