Danfoss TP9000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’m wondering if someone can help me. I am trying to swap out a Danfoss TP9000 for a Hive (image below). I have done as follows;

Neutrals - Neutrals
Live - Live
3 - 3 (HW On)
4 - 4 (CH On)
5 (Removed at Timer and Sensor)
6 (Removed at Timer and Sensor)
Extra Neutrals? (Bottom right of image) I have put in with the other neutral with a link into seperate terminal.
Extra Earths? (Bottom right of image) I have put in with other earta with a link into seperate terminal.

When I finished putting everything into place and turn on the power it’s just blowing fuses and tripping at the fuse box.

Anyone any ideas what I’ve done wrong? Driving me mad and I can’t seem to understand what the extra “neutrals” and “earths” are even there for in the first place.

Any help hugely appreciated!

Sponsored Links
With heating wiring never assume that a blue wire is a neutral plenty of systems were earths have been used as neutrals ect ect colour coding can go out the window tbh

U would be best advised to post this in the plumbing forum

Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

It is not a generic term for blue or black wires.

Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

Thanks for that @EFLImpudence - 15 seconds of my life I’ll never get back. The two bottom right terminals are marked “neutral” and “earth” respectively. I’m not simply just assuming but I get your point. I’m simply just looking for someone who’s had a similar set up. All the other T9000 posts haven’t had anything going into these.

Sponsored Links
Well that back plate is to be removed anyway if you're installing Hive?

The TP9000 is wired as below:

Capture.JPG

It's just a matter of moving the wires from the TP9000 backplate to the Hive dual channel receiver backplate terminals that have the same function. Which in the case of N, L, 1, 2 ,3, 4 are exactly the same, as you can see from below, just swap them over like for like.

Hive.JPG

Don't worry that not all terminals will have a wire in, you will only need the existing wires you already have.

The remote sensor in TP terminals 5 & 6 is disconnected and removed. The Hive thermostat replaces it and communicates with the Hive receiver wirelessly.

The wires in the two terminals on the bottom right don't have a function as far as the TP is concerned, they are just terminals and should remain connected exactly as they are, so you will require two new separate terminal connectors. One for the yellow and brown wires in the top terminal, and the other for the yellow and blue in the bottom terminal

As has been said when it comes to heating systems the wire colours are meaningless much of the time and depend on the choices of whoever installed it. The blue wire in (4) is actually being used as a live wire and so really should have a brown sleeve over it to identify it as such. Something like this:

brown sleeve.JPG

You have obviously created a short circuit somewhere, hopefully it won't have damaged the Hive receiver, but it could have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back