Danfoss TP9000 to Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've had a look through previous threads but couldn't find what I was looking for but apologies if this has already been asked.

I currently have a Danfoss TP9000MA thermostat running with an Alpha InTec 34C boiler and Danfoss TS2 Temperature Sensor. I've attached a photo of the current wiring. I've tried moving the wires from 3 (TP9000) into 1 (Hive) and 4 (TP9000) into 3 (Hive) with Wires 5 and 6 (TP9000) not required as I think they are for the sensor but this didn't work. I'm really struggling to get a professional to fit it so any help at all would be really appreciated!

I've attached some photos for reference too.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5933.PNG
    IMG_5933.PNG
    585.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5932.PNG
    IMG_5932.PNG
    490 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5931.PNG
    IMG_5931.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5930.PNG
    IMG_5930.PNG
    558 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5923.jpg
    IMG_5923.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5923.jpg
    IMG_5923.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5929.PNG
    IMG_5929.PNG
    599.7 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be too difficult. You are basically replacing a controller with another that is pretty much identical. [From a wiring point of view]

A Hive Dual Channel should replace the Danfoss TP9000. As you can see below, the connection terminals are identical. So, all of the wires you have in Danfoss terminals N, L, 3, & 4, are simply moved to the same terminals of the Dual Channel Hive.

download.png

The Danfoss TP9000 terminals 5 and 6 are for the remote sensor so this is simply removed as it's no longer required.

Great, thank you so much! Appreciate the help! I only have the single channel so I'll return that for the dual channel one.

I did wonder when you made reference to using terminal 1. ;)

The dual channel is for boilers that have central heating with a stored hot water system attached. (hot water cylinder) The single channel is for combi boilers that don't need separate hot water control.

Sponsored Links
Great, thank you so much! Appreciate the help! I only have the single channel so I'll return that for the dual channel one.
According to an internet search, your boiler is a Combi, so single channel would normally be appropriate, but you do appear to have a hot water and heating control.

Interesting, so it is. :unsure: The Danfoss TP9000 is a dual channel device, so maybe it used to be a dual channel system that has been converted to a combi and the old controls left in place.

OP if you can confirm this the single channel maybe suitable after all.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I'm not entirely sure. I moved into the house last year and the boiler and controls were already there (nothing left from the previous to say if the boiler or controls had been replaced although it was built in 2015 so I'm not sure if they would have changed it since then. The neighbours seem to have the same controls although I'm not sure if the boiler is different.

Is it worth trying the single channel first or am I better to just return it and get the dual channel?

It all depends if you have a hot water cylinder that is heated by the boiler, if you do you will need the dual channel. If you have a combi boiler that simply fires up and heats all of your hot water instantaneously then you don't.

So the main question is, do you have a hot water cylinder?

They are rare, but there are some systems that have a combi boiler that supplies hot water to one destination, generally the kitchen, but there is also a hot water cylinder as well, usually for homes that have more than one bathroom and a higher demand for hot water.

I'm assuming below is what you currently have. As you can see the 'tap' symbol I've highlighted shows that it includes hot water control.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 135857.png

If this is what you have, what do you use this part of the controls for?

There is a cylinder under my boiler although I've never had to heat the water or anything like that, it's always hot on demand? I only use that boost button for the heating. We have two bathrooms and a separate WC too so that's maybe why?

I’d say you have a hot water cylinder then it could well be setup that the Combi provides the hot water for it. I doubt the cylinder is on demand, it would need some form of heating up.

Last edited:
I have this which I’m assuming is the hot water cylinder. But I’ve never turned my tap on and the water be cold and then had to push a button or anything to make it hot.
I’m a total novice at this so apologies but is this thing always heated? Or just at certain times? And does this mean I’ll need the dual channel hive?
IMG_5935.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5936.jpeg
    IMG_5936.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 33
is this thing always heated? Or just at certain times?

Presuming your (hot) tap water comes from this then yes, it is always heated.

Think about it:if it were stone cold and you turned the tap on, do you think anything short of a nuclear reactor could heat the water by the time it got to your tap?

Sponsored Links
Back