Dangerous Situation

hotel could argue your nephew should be taught not to play with switches. (they are not toys)
you are now telling us there is a shower screen, any thing else you want to tell us?

as has been said we agree you may have a point but there is nothing you can do about it. (specialy since you now moved the goal posts)

Sponsored Links
There are no publicly available for figures that you speak of, not specific ones anyway, but they would be in the low single digit mark if any at all to be honest.

Children should be taught not to play with electrical equipment, even switches, and just because you think it should be moved, does not mean it will or even has too.

Big Spark

I layed in bath with no water, it was empty..
I am a bathroom fitter-heating engineer and have sat the 16th edition.
I dont say I am an electrician but I get hacked all the time with the standards of work i See and I apply that critism to my work.
Fitting switches in a bathroom is a big mistake.

Regards Jason

Sponsored Links
your nephew may contibute to the improvement of the human gene pool (Darwin style) if he continues to receive inadequate instruction. There is no regulation for it, but this is something you could effect.

Slumberland said:
Big Spark

I layed in bath with no water, it was empty..
I am a bathroom fitter-heating engineer and have sat the 16th edition.
I dont say I am an electrician but I get hacked all the time with the standards of work i See and I apply that critism to my work.
Fitting switches in a bathroom is a big mistake.

Regards Jason

So what if the bathroom is 10m x 10m..I think you should learn the zones for a bathroom then do some measurements. I am not saying this is acceptable, without seeing the bathroom in question no-one here can truly comment, but you have already eluded to the fact there is a shower screen there, which you omitted in your first post.

I have seen some of the WORST electrical work ever done perpetrated by so called bathroom/kitchen fitters, so your professional qualifications do not make you any more right or wrong than any other person in your situation.

If you feel strongly about it, I suggest you take the course of action I recommended in my first reply.

The shower screen is on the side of the bath.A bath shower screen.
One of the switches is in zone 2.less than o.6n away from bath.
I am sorry to hear some of you are not to interested in offering help only sarky comments.
Would you feel that a light switch is acceptable in a bathroom.
No we have pull chords.. I wonder why..
Bear in mind this is a hotel.
In England...
Probably fitted out by cheap labour..

Slumber, instead of having a go at us, I refer you to my original post where I gave you a pretty good way of addressing your concerns. However other than what I recommended, there is NOTHING you can do.

I, and others here, are not saying this is right, but it is what it is..sorry you feel this advice is a sarccy comment.

Slumberland, why dont you actually read what is written, not what you think is written.

You proved that you did not read it by your comments. Big_Spark gave a good suggestion, but yet you slag him off too.

we all admit you have a point (even after you moved the goal posts) but to be a hotel it had to pass certain critera, which it did (otherwise it couldnt open)

Put your self in the hotel owners shoes.

(to hotel)"Dear sir, i think you have got your bathroom wiring / switches wrong yahdy yahdy yah................."

(Reply) Thankyou for your concern, regards management

You are NOT qualified to make any comment on which he should act, end of story.

BE

I get this every day.

Every day I walk into a property and have to slap "AT RISK" stickers on at least one thing.

Sometimes many more.

I get shouted at, sworn at, even threatened. Which is when I walk out.

What if I went into their houses and DIDN'T mention the dangers?

Slumberland said:
What can I and should I do.
The diplomatic answer strikes me as obvious, but maybe I'm just too devious...

I'd find out the organisation on which the hotel relies for its accreditation, then gently approach the manager and tell him/her that you'd been secretly approached by a representative of that organisation who asked you to spill the beans on any unsafe installations that you might have observed as a guest.

I'm sure you can adjust this suggestion to make it more credible in your personal circumstances, but the basic idea is to gain the trust of the manager whilst at the same time motivating him to effect a change by scaring the bejesus out of him.

Subterfuge? Yes. A pragmatic answer to the problem? Yes, IMHO.

Hi, Sorry a bit late to see this post, but there is something the OP can do assuming the hotel is in the UK. The hotel must comply with a number of pieces of legislation including the Health and Safety at Work,etc, Act, 1974. Note the "etc"; it means ensuring the safety of people on the premises even if they do not work there. It also covers the "stupid child or burgular" situation. Ensuring compliance in the hotel is the responsibility of the local authority, usually the environmental health department. Write a similar letter to that suggested but to the environmental health department. Ask for a reply.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back