Dark brown stain in the WC pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A fairly new but little used WC pan has a dark brown stain occupying the whole area below the water line.

It is probably limescale as this is a very chalky area but all attempts to budge the stain have failed.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's not organic, it could be "rust"possibly caused by someone using a pan scrubber or steel wool to "clean" it. If so oxalic acid will remove it

Bleach or white vinegar but NOT ..... repeat not used together. Check in cistern to see if the cistern bolts are getting rusty if they are then you will need to replace them with stainless steel bolts.

Thanks both for replies. White vinegar did not move it and I have tried loads of bleach.for help.

It seems to be limescale and the stain is probably because the elderly gent frequently left the chain unpulled. There isn't any rust in the cistern.

I don't know anything about oxalic acid. Is it worth a try?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cheap coca cola, go to lids/ aldis, and spend £1-£1.50 on cola
Last thing at night pour the three bottles of cola down the loo
In the morning , flush the loo
If it does not work you will have lost £1.50.
If it does you wil smile, happy days

I will try coca cola thanks but isn't there a limescale remover that plumbers use?

Thanks again for help.

Can anyone please tell me an effective limescale remover for a WC pan.

Can anyone please tell me an effective limescale remover for a WC pan.
Any limescale removing cleaner available from any supermarket.
Or the bottle of cola in the pan overnight, which is much cheaper and does the same job, due to it containing phosphoric acid.

Do NOT use bleach with the cola or any limescale product, as large quantities of toxic chlorine gas will be given off.

Thanks. I will try coca cola. I asked the question about a limescale cleaner because i could not find one in the supermarket that goes in the water and the surface ones I tried did not work.

It seems to be limescale and the stain is probably because the elderly gent frequently left the chain unpulled.

well its not lime scale then is it?

Flush pan of all previous chemicals. Add "One shot" B&Q, which is sulphuric acid..eats urine for a pastime including chrome and stainless steel.. warning have good ventilation. No good, then Hydrochloric acid again flush pan before starting. A weak solution is brick cleaner though stronger concoctions are available.

Again:

DO NOT mix chemicals together.
DO NOT add hot water to any chemicals.
HAVE adequate ventilation.
FLUSH WC and drainage system before and when completed job.
WEAR protective clothing including goggles better still full face mask.
READ ALL instructions before use.

WARNING chemicals such as these were used in the First World War to gas trenches.

If that fails new WC.

The other half swears by this

QWOP1773.jpg

Leave it in as long as poss, and no I don't work for Harpic :p

And you pour it on the bowl not into the water.

Take a photo, show it to the old git and tell hem how much he is going to have to pay for a new toilet now.
The tightfistedness in him may well decide that it's better to flush instead :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back