Dark wet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of rain recently and noticed in the new house we have one wall which is quite dark at the bottom. Can't figure out if this is from splash back (noticed some drips from the facia above) or something else

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_133052459.jpg
    PXL_20231114_133052459.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Next time it rains heavily go outside and see if it's just excessive rain off the roof above.
Yeah it seems to be that and hitting the floor and plashing back a bit. The picture actually makes it look worse due to the lighting but you get the idea

It's also happening at the front with the green algae. Could be rising damp. It may have something to do with the drain.

Sponsored Links
Definitely not rising damp , the garage gutter is short of the wall and leadwork is not dressed into gutter so heavy rain will cascade over the corner intersection soaking the darkened area .

presume you mean the garage leadwork. in which case I would expect to see a stream of water dripping to the ground or that darker area from that, which I am not. I'm only seeing drips from the house roof facia that lands in that area.

You're right about the gutter in that pic. It's routing water to the back of the drain and sometimes misses it. I may need to cut it and add a shoe to fix that. Currently have a plastic wedge in there to make sure water hits the drain

As for similar wet bricks around the front - again this is splash back and from the porch roof. Another thing to fix, yay

Does anyone think that the OP's garden is too high? The uPVC door threshold is only one brick higher than the tarmac.

presume you mean the garage leadwork. in which case I would expect to see a stream of water dripping to the ground or that darker area from that, which I am not. I'm only seeing drips from the house roof facia that lands in that area.

You're right about the gutter in that pic. It's routing water to the back of the drain and sometimes misses it. I may need to cut it and add a shoe to fix that. Currently have a plastic wedge in there to make sure water hits the drain

As for similar wet bricks around the front - again this is splash back and from the porch roof. Another thing to fix, yay
You can see staining all down the corner from garage roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back