Daytime Running Lights Crisis

All late plate cars with DRLs I have seen deactivate the DRL on the side that the indicator is activated.
Same here. I don’t know of any DRL's that remain at maximum output when the indicator is used. If anyone knows different, please say. What I don’t like are cars such as a Kuga that has rear indicator lamps the size of a postage stamp.

Sponsored Links
What I don’t like are cars such as a Kuga that has rear indicator lamps the size of a postage stamp.

Form more important than function. I try to make a point of indicator on first, before brakes, to make sure indicators are seen.

So total travelling people increasing, total casualties falling.

This is what you choose to call no improvement.
You can ignore the data if you want. But even an idiot can work out that a data set which is 20 times bigger cannot be combined. They are incompatible statistically. I welcome your arguments to the contrary. Casualty statistics are accepted to be wildly under reported as there is no formal mechanism for collecting them. So yes, despite decades of "speed kills", widespread rollout of air-bags, ABS, brake-assist, automatic braking and alerting, enhancement to vehicle design to reduce pedestrian injury. We have not enjoyed the lives saved promised by those who campaign to reduce speed limits.

As you can see from the data, people need to travel for work and life. Blanket speed limit reduction has failed.

Had we spent that effort on getting both drivers and pedestrians off their mobiles, cutting drug driving, encouraging people to take further and regular training, getting everyone to be responsible for their own and others safety, then we might have fewer fatal and serious accidents.

Same here. I don’t know of any DRL's that remain at maximum output when the indicator is used. If anyone knows different, please say. What I don’t like are cars such as a Kuga that has rear indicator lamps the size of a postage stamp.
One of my cars has LED rings around the headlights which are constant when the indicators are on or off, is that what you mean?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't rely on KSI or the KSI adjusted. Look at SI and K independently. SI is incompatible with K as data set. If K goes up 50% and SI goes down 10% every cheers when in fact it would be terrible. SI data is also very unreliable as it often doesn't get reported. a Serious Injury is not as it seems. It can be something quite minor most of the time.

Despite massive technological improvements, the rise of speed cameras and slashing of speed limits everywhere road casualty statistics have not changed for over a decade.

image-10-1.png

Headline figures
In reported road collisions in Great Britain in 2022 there were an estimated:

1,695 fatalities, a decline of 3% compared to 2019

29,795 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties, a decline of 3% compared to 2019

136,002 casualties of all severities, a decline of 11% compared to 2019

Considering the different road user types and demographics, the statistics show:

the road user type with the biggest estimated percentage change for 2022 compared to 2019 for fatalities was pedestrians, which showed a decline of 20%

of the 4 main road user types, car occupants had the biggest estimated percentage change for 2022 compared to 2019 for all casualties, which showed a decline of 16%

in 2022, 75% of fatalities and 62% of casualties of all severities were male

And a much bigger drop if compared to 2012,

can anyone remember what was going on between 2020-2022? 40% decline during that time.

It's regulated, based on the distance between the indicator and DRL. Below a certain measurement, the DRL has to switch off automatically while indicating. Above that, it can stay on all the time.

If people are having trouble seeing indicators near to DRLs then this may be a clue that they should book an eye test, perhaps the actual issue is closer to home than you realise. This isn't sarcasm, I have regular eye tests and wear specs, and never have an issue with DRLs and indicators together. If you can't see the difference between different coloured separate lights then you should wonder what else you can't see.

Had we spent that effort on getting both drivers and pedestrians off their mobiles, cutting drug driving, encouraging people to take further and regular training, getting everyone to be responsible for their own and others safety, then we might have fewer fatal and serious accidents.

That, I very much agree with.

can anyone remember what was going on between 2020-2022? 40% decline during that time.
This is DiyNot. 40% of 'em cannot remember what was going on yesterday, 20% are only here to engage in an argument & the other 60% are mostly sock puppets controlled by the remaining 10%.

If people are having trouble seeing indicators near to DRLs then this may be a clue that they should book an eye test, perhaps the actual issue is closer to home than you realise. This isn't sarcasm, I have regular eye tests and wear specs, and never have an issue with DRLs and indicators together. If you can't see the difference between different coloured separate lights then you should wonder what else you can't see.

I think the point being made, was that designers of such systems care little for the function, so long as they look pretty and meet inadequate C&U standards. What sensible person, would design one important light, where visibility is crucial, inside another light which is lit?

Whilst traffic intensity and other confusion has increased, lighting layout and functionality has deteriorated, giving way to design. Headlights used to be only headlight lens, with well separated indicators, making them easy to distinguish. At the rear, likewise, brakelights, fog, and indicators were well separated. The big improvements have been side indicator repeaters, and high level brake lights.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back