DBAN data erasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the general opinion on effectiveness of this software?

I've never tested its results but I've used it on HDDs I buy from ebay to, I assume, ensure the HDD is clean and also to test the HDD because if DBAN can't complete the job, the HDD must be faulty?

Sponsored Links
I have never managed to access anything after passing with DBAN. They have even offered a reward to any data recovery to put it to the test after a single pass. I've been using it for 5 or 6 years since it came out.

If DBAN is failing after starting ok, i would suspect your HDD is at fault, and may i suggest Hirens Boot CD for diagnostics if you prefer not to just add it as a second drive in a working machine. Or build a second unconnected machine just for testing purposes.

Not quite sure why you would want to DBAN a second hand drive though, I always run recovery on them to see what existed before :evil:

Dan.

When I use DBAN, I usually disconnect the existing HDDs in the PC box and connect the HDD I'm going to wipe as master.

As I mentioned above, the first thing I do with any second hand HDDs I buy from ebay is wipe them with DBAN to ensure they're clean.

Sponsored Links
I've used DBAN several times to wipe HDD's both for disposal and to reinstall another OS.

It's never failed me yet.

Back