Dbl 13 amp socket

However, although we do occasionally see people who are persuaded by responses here not to attempt a particular job themselves, I'm not sure I can recall an occasion on which we have been aware of persuading someone to acquire the means and knowledge to do 'proper testing', particularly in relation to 'minor jobs'.
It is most probably rare, if at all! But that does not mean that I shall not continue to advice that way.
However, you seem reticent to actually answer the specific question - since we know that, no matter what we advise, the vast majority of electrical DIYers are not going to undertake 'full proper tests' do you believe that this means that they are not taking 'responsible precautions' and therefore that they should not undertake any electrical work?
I believe I did answer that question, but I will put it another way for you.
If the lack the desired knowledge, skill, equipment and attitude, they should leave it to those that do!
I am not against any form of DIY, but it must be undertaken responsibly, with consideration not just for yourself but those that maybe affected by it.

Sponsored Links
... I'm not sure I can recall an occasion on which we have been aware of persuading someone to acquire the means and knowledge to do 'proper testing', particularly in relation to 'minor jobs'.
It is most probably rare, if at all! But that does not mean that I shall not continue to advice that way.
That's fair enough, but how far do you think that advice should go? Are you just going to advise them what testing should be done, or are you going to advise them that if they can't/won't undertake all the required testing, then they should not undertake the electrical work?
I believe I did answer that question, but I will put it another way for you. If the lack the desired knowledge, skill, equipment and attitude, they should leave it to those that do! I am not against any form of DIY, but it must be undertaken responsibly, with consideration not just for yourself but those that maybe affected by it.
I must ask you to bear with me for being dim, but I would still like that translated into bottom-line 'words of one syllable' that even I can understand! In terms of the specific issue of testing, are you saying that if someone does not have the equipment and/or ability (and maybe not even the inclination) to undertake full testing, then your advice to them would be that they should not undertake any electrical work?

Kind Regards, John

I would predict that will have 'smart CU' with onboard simply to operate test kit which will give the customer;

Polarity - Correct
Earth - Present

Perhaps Martindale R+D are onto it :eek:

When the DNO undertake their annual safety check on their equipment why could they not use a plugin tester to check polarity and earthing ? How long does it take to plug in a tester ?

Regards,

DS

When the DNO undertake their annual safety check on their equipment why could they not use a plugin tester to check polarity and earthing ? How long does it take to plug in a tester ?
I'm a bit lost. What is this 'annual safety check on their equipment' to which you refer? It's at least 20 years, probably a fair bit more, since any DNO personnel were in my house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So what ? Why do you think because you haven't had a safety check they don't happen ?

DS

So what ? Why do you think because you haven't had a safety check they don't happen ?
It's just that I have never heard of DNOs undertaking routine 'safety checks' of domestic installations, mine or anyone else's - has anyone else heard of such routine checks? As BAS has pointed out, it would be extremely labour-intensive and costly.

Does your installation get an annual 'safety check' by your DNO?

Kind Regards, John

I've never heard of it either. We've never had a visit from the DNO, and only one visit from a MOP in the last 30 years.

That's fair enough, but how far do you think that advice should go? Are you just going to advise them what testing should be done, or are you going to advise them that if they can't/won't undertake all the required testing, then they should not undertake the electrical work?
I think I already adivise on testing and do so as I see appropriate and take each topic/post/question on it's own merits.
I must ask you to bear with me for being dim, but I would still like that translated into bottom-line 'words of one syllable' that even I can understand! In terms of the specific issue of testing, are you saying that if someone does not have the equipment and/or ability (and maybe not even the inclination) to undertake full testing, then your advice to them would be that they should not undertake any electrical work?
I think it is quiet clear what my view on this is, do I really need to translate it in to one syllable? If one is unable or incapable of proving the work one undertakes is safe, do not attempt to undertake the work.

I've never heard of it either. We've never had a visit from the DNO, and only one visit from a MOP in the last 30 years.
Essentially the same here. I think the only visit from the DNO (and that was at my request, not a 'routine check' visit) was soon after we moved here, 30+ years ago, and we've had one meter change undertaken by an MOP since then. Nor am I aware of any family or friends ever had a 'routine check' visit by the DNO, ever.

Kind Regards, John

It took me 12 weeks, the last time I asked for a visit from the DNO (side issue).
Not had a visit at any properties I own, ever!

I think it is quiet clear what my view on this is, do I really need to translate it in to one syllable? If one is unable or incapable of proving the work one undertakes is safe, do not attempt to undertake the work.
... but you have agreed that we all know that an extremely high proportion of people who post questions here, particularly in relation to 'minor' works, are not going to do any significant testing, whether or not we tell them what testing should be done. If you (and I, and others) know that, if you believe that this means that they should not attempt to undertake the work, why do you (just as I, and others) so often give advice on details of how the work could/should be done?

As I wrote earlier ...
If we all took the view that we would not answer questions unless we were fairly confident that adequate testing would be undertaken, very few questions would get answered - by you, me or anyone else.
Kind Regards, John

why do you (just as I, and others) so often give advice on details of how the work could/should be done?
I generally advise that the work undertaken should be done safely.
There are members/posters that don't! If my advice is ignored, there is very little I can do about that. But my advice is in the best interest of those that ask. So I shall continue in the same way, I have thick skin and if ignored, I am ignored, our lass has accustomed me to that.

If we all took the view that we would not answer questions unless we were fairly confident that adequate testing would be undertaken, very few questions would get answered - by you, me or anyone else.
And we could not still guarantee that it would, but I will repeat, that does not mean it should not be advised.

I generally advise that the work undertaken should be done safely. ... There are members/posters that don't! If my advice is ignored, there is very little I can do about that. But my advice is in the best interest of those that ask.
I'm not questioning the wisdom of giving of advice regarding testing. However, it's a dilemma that all of us are faced with, not just you. If we 'know', as essentially we do, that our advice (about testing) will be ignored by a very high proportion of people, and if we believe that work cannot be undertaken safely without such testing, then we really should be questioning whether it is appropriate to offer any specific advice about 'how to do the job', shouldn't we?

Kind Regards, John

if we believe that work cannot be undertaken safely without such testing, then we really should be questioning whether it is appropriate to offer any specific advice about 'how to do the job', shouldn't we?
We should, and on more than one occasion there has been instances where the questions have not been answered, due to the way the OP has shown a lack of competence.
Most probably there has been occasions where advise should not have been given at all! But that will not happen, as someone will always but an answer forward. So that being the case, others should inform/recommend the OP of the need to prove safe or tell them that they should not be taking on tasks that are clearly beyond their capabilities.

We should, and on more than one occasion there has been instances where the questions have not been answered, due to the way the OP has shown a lack of competence.
That's true, but it generally only happens if someone is clearly totally out of their depth, not just because they are not going to test.
Most probably there has been occasions where advise should not have been given at all! But that will not happen, as someone will always but an answer forward. So that being the case, others should inform/recommend the OP of the need to prove safe or tell them that they should not be taking on tasks that are clearly beyond their capabilities.
True but, as I keep saying, in terms of testing the advice usually stops short of saying that if they can't/won't do the testing, then they should not (or, in BAS parlance, "must not") attempt the work. As above, that sort of advice is usually only given to people who clearly are not competent to do the work, let alone any testing.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back