Debit card oddity

This is the pub.

I have to say the service was top notch, very speedy and the food was absolutely gorgeous.

Probably invested in new microwaves :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, people don’t want any of those records. Remember, this is a site predominantly frequented by tradesmen. Cash in hand tradesmen. ;)
I wonder why they only want paying in cash? :unsure:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Exactly the same argument can be said about cash, that it doesn't teach the true cost.

Wrong. If you have a few notes and coins, you're aware of them depleting as you spend them and running down. With cards you can spend all your money and go into overdraft without any indication that you're getting low until you check balance or get a statement.

Also the push to give kids a form of debit card - it doesn't teach them about the value of money and true cost of stuff.

Yes, they don't want responsible savers. Anyway, it's not like they're going to be saving for something like a house these days, is it? They want spenders to squander all the money they earn in their minimum wage gig economy jobs on imported $h!te to keep the economy going.

Sponsored Links
Wrong. If you have a few notes and coins, you're aware of them depleting as you spend them and running down. With cards you can spend all your money and go into overdraft without any indication that you're getting low until you check balance or get a statement.

Perhaps true for you, but don't judge everyone like that - I can see exactly what I have spent where, on my phone, and occasionally I check more thoroughly on my PC. On my PC, I have all my usual spend locations set, so they fall into pre-defined categories, so I can see at a glance where it has gone. Any payments, which don't get sorted to a category, are flagged up - making fraudulent transactions easy to spot. Once cash has gone from your pocket, you have no record of where it has gone.

Perhaps true for you, but don't judge everyone like that...... .

If you actually read what R and C wrote, you'd see that what he said it correct.

You are able to spend everything you have, and more, electronically without any indication of what you've done.

You can't physically spend more cash than you have in your mitt.

Perhaps true for you, but don't judge everyone like that - I can see exactly what I have spent where, on my phone, and occasionally I check more thoroughly on my PC. On my PC, I have all my usual spend locations set, so they fall into pre-defined categories, so I can see at a glance where it has gone. Any payments, which don't get sorted to a category, are flagged up - making fraudulent transactions easy to spot. Once cash has gone from your pocket, you have no record of where it has gone.
Don't you know what you do with cash???
Have you got memory problems?

You are able to spend everything you have, and more, electronically without any indication of what you've done.

Which would be a ridiculous thing to do, and I still could not achieve what you suggest - I have several accounts, my daily account only has a few thousand in it, and would limit my spend. Just like cash in your pocket, once that is gone, I would need to transfer from other accounts - the difference between drawing money out and transferring is similar, so I do not see a difference between cash and card, in that respect. As I keep repeating - every spend I make, appears as a notification on my phone instantly. I cannot spend via the phone, or card, without the notification of where and the amount, showing on screen.

So, all in all, I would suggest i am much more aware of my spend, where and when I spent it, than anyone could possibly be who relies upon cash.

Which would be a ridiculous thing to do, and I still could not achieve what you suggest - I have several accounts, my daily account only has a few thousand in it, and would limit my spend. Just like cash in your pocket, once that is gone, I would need to transfer from other accounts - the difference between drawing money out and transferring is similar, so I do not see a difference between cash and card, in that respect. As I keep repeating - every spend I make, appears as a notification on my phone instantly. I cannot spend via the phone, or card, without the notification of where and the amount, showing on screen.

So, all in all, I would suggest i am much more aware of my spend, where and when I spent it, than anyone could possibly be who relies upon cash.

Drop a £20 now in the floor.

What is your max. potential loss?

Do the same with your debit or credit card.

Same question.

I honestly could not care less about your phone notifications, especially as they were irrelevant to R and C's point (which, if you care to read it again, was not specific to you).

So why are you arguing the toss with R and C about card purchases then?

Actually, don't answer that, I don't care.

I was arguing as to how quaint, pointless and unnecessary cash really. I've generally managed not to use it for many years, and I know of nowhere I go, where card/phone payments are not very acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Back