Deck Sub Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am building a floating deck. It wont be very high, but the drop from the patio door to ground is larger than a natural step so need to bring it up a couple of hundred mm.

I am trying to work out how many posts I need. The deck will be 4.5 x 3.6 m with the deck boards running along the 4.5m length. I will be using 2x6 joists. 3.6m is too big a span for C16 or C24 so its going to need some support.

This is the design I have so far. Effectively 3 rows of 5 posts with double bearers and the joists hanging from them.

Does that sound ok? Too much, not enough?

deck.PNG

Sponsored Links
6" boards c24 can go 3 meters,

You could have 8" boards and not have to worry about the extra posts,

Or just put posts in at 1.8meters so they are in the center of the deck.

As for the width, 3 rows of 3 posts will be sufficient,

However your original plan will be much sturdier so if your happy with it then go for it.

The joists I would also advise putting at 500mm centres, I done 450mm centres and it meant I had to do many more cuts and had more wastage than if I went for 500mm centres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back