Patio decking sub frame spec.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put in some decking on top of an existing patio approx 3m x 4m.

I take on board idea of better to over engineer but is there any reason why I could not create the sub frame using 2x4 rather than 2x6 joists? Main reason for considering this is that 2x4s are available in the right lengths from local DIY. The available 2x6 joists would require a join.

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with 4x2 per se, but it needs a lot more supporting piers than 6x2, and in any case, in my experience it still seems to fell a bit springy regardless of the number of posts.

go to a timber merchants and get the lengths you need. it will be much much better quality and probably cheaper. most will deliver as well

Are you laying this deck directly onto the existing patio - if so I would strongly advice against this as the water will have know where to run-off and the decking will rot. If you are building a raised frame you should deinately use 6"x2" and as already said this will be cheaper from a merchants than the DIY stores timber anyway.
Also make sure you are buying tanalised timber and treat all the cut ends with a wood preserver before fitting

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with laying a deck on an existing patio. The water will still run on the falls of the patio to whereever it disperesed to before, unless it was a badly laid patio that had pools of water on. Ive lost count of how many we have done like this and gone back years afterwards with no ill effects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back