Decking - everyone says I don't need planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have built an extension and ideally I would like decking going straight out at floor level.

There is drop from the sliding doors of 60cm to the ground. Looking into it, I thought under permitted development I would need a step down onto a max of 30cm height decking.

I have had three quotes and each told me they have never needed planning permission for decking and I don't need it.

So am I right and it needs a step down?

Then if I do need a step down what is defined as a step, as in how big, wide etc can a step be?

It's all a bit silly as I can see more of my neighbours garden from standing at the door, not much of it, but I am going to obscure the small part I can see with potted bamboo.

Prior to the extension, four years ago the council put in decking for my mum's wheelchair access that was 60cm high across the back of the house and paving (over 30cm) at the side and didn't ask anyone's permission.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are correct and responsible for any planning breaches, the companies quoting don't seem to know planning rules.

You are correct and responsible for any planning breaches, the companies quoting don't seem to know planning rules.

Thanks, I assumed that was the case as I couldn't see any caveats that meant I didn't. I think it shows how many people go ahead and do this with a fingers crossed approach.

I wish we had included it now in our original planning.

Your plan drawer should have asked about the landscaping and included it (or suggested it) if decking was probable.

Sponsored Links
You could argue that the building up of ground is ancillary to the extension works, I assume the area was subject of significant earth moving to accommodate the extension.

Blup

just a though
is there any point on the area the decking will cover that is higher than at the house as that point will be the datum point for the 300mm??

You could argue that the building up of ground is ancillary to the extension works, I assume the area was subject of significant earth moving to accommodate the extension.

Blup

Thanks. Well it's been a steep and expensive learning curve having the house renovated. Lots of things I wish I had asked for at the time or been told about. It was obvious we would need something as we can't just drop out onto mud. So I wish the architect had asked us as there is a big drop in height.

So would it be a full planning application, or an ammendment to the ones I have signed off by planning?

Thanks

It was obvious we would need something as we can't just drop out onto mud. So I wish the architect had asked us as there is a big drop in height
In fairness to the architect, he could also assume you would do as any other would do and have steps down to an acceptable level. No need for any input then. It's only because of the rule breaking height that you are seeking approval.

How well do you get on with your neighbours? Perhaps discuss it with them...

In fairness to the architect, he could also assume you would do as any other would do and have steps down to an acceptable level. No need for any input then. It's only because of the rule breaking height that you are seeking approval.
Nah, I'll put money on he avoided raising the issue of decking to help himself get a free ride through planning, an extension without proper access is half a job.

There's an ass in assume if you look closely.

Thanks. Well it's been a steep and expensive learning curve having the house renovated. Lots of things I wish I had asked for at the time or been told about. It was obvious we would need something as we can't just drop out onto mud. So I wish the architect had asked us as there is a big drop in height.

So would it be a full planning application, or an ammendment to the ones I have signed off by planning?

Thanks

I mean that the time to make up the ground was when the builder was on site, 300mm is unlikely to have made a difference but you might live in or next to a listed building. It’s either speak to the Council for advice or you get the decking done and risk enforcement action. You have a practical defence that the Council did it for your Mum’s disabled access although the impact on neighbours might be greater given the extension.

Blup

I mean that the time to make up the ground was when

The ground could not be raised to pretend that any deck won't really be more than 300mm above the natural ground level.
And there is no practical defence. Surely the ground level is noted on the submitted plans.

These cases usually seem to boil down to a neighbour complaining about being overlooked from the new raised deck.

So ask yourself the question, whilst I'm stood on my lovely new raised deck sipping a G&T will I be able to see my fat neighbour cavorting naked in his chavvy hot tub? If the answer is yes then you probably need to move house. If the answer is no then no one will bloody care so just crack on and build your raised deck. :cautious:

I mean that the time to make up the ground was when the builder was on site, 300mm is unlikely to have made a difference but you might live in or next to a listed building. It’s either speak to the Council for advice or you get the decking done and risk enforcement action. You have a practical defence that the Council did it for your Mum’s disabled access although the impact on neighbours might be greater given the extension.

Blup

Actually it's better in some senses as its actually not as far along as what the council did.

But the council alao raises the path considerably at the side. The side raised path, which is actually almost bout 60xm or more looks directly into the neighbours bathroom.

I can't use that access door now because it's embarrassing for them and us.

We are reducing that side path back to how it was. The neighbours did actually complain about the side part but two years later.

The council should have consulted with them at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back