Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Her in doors would like to deck out the back of our house - the decked area will span approx 12M x 2.4M. Ideally we'd like the deck to sit just below the sliding doors (there is a 2M one and 8M one). I'd estimate these sit roughly 50cm from ground.

According to planning portal I need planning and building control for anything over 30cm high. There is a risk that the neighbours will feel overlooked and we've had problems with our last build.

Has anyone come up with any clever solutions? If I have a decking step down would that need planning? When would a step be a platform?

Sponsored Links
If you don't feel it would cause overlooking, or there's a simple way to avoid it (maybe setting back from the boundary or raising a fence) then have a chat with the planning officer. You can get pre application advice and decide if it's worth an extra 300 quid or so to get planning permission.
If on the other hand there's no way around the overlooking, then just lower the deck.
I may be wrong but I think platforms work a bit like eaves height, if you're lucky you could measure from the highest ground level in the area which might be OK.
Third option is to just go for it, or install a jacking system so you can install at 0.3 and raise a little every few months:LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back