Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could some one tell me how to construct a banister when installing decking, do I concrete in 3m posts and then construct the banister off that?

Sponsored Links
Tommy Walsh does it by making the decking then fitting the banisters to said deck.

he also mentioned spindles should not be more that 100mm apart

cheers for the quick reply, I've read a couple of your postsand good old tommy keeps popping up, are you him?

I wasn't sure if the banister would be stable enough just screwed to the deck or am I being too cautious?

Sponsored Links
no, i am not he, i just liked ground force, but TBH i really don't like ms Dimmock

thanks for the photos tehe last one was really helpful, screw them to the joist it is then. ms dimmok, she's great always got erect nipples

its her "tv attitude" and brushing her hair to one side then watch it fall back to where it was that i dont like

can we say nipples on this forum. nipples nipples nipples.

ahem - to get back to the question, if the railings have either a right angle corner or, at least, a 45 angle somewhere along the run (as in those pics), that'll really help keep the whole lot stable and braced, and bolting the posts to the frame is fine. If you just have a straight line of balustrading then I would recommend posts down into the ground for stability. The problem there is that decorative posts don't tend to come in long lengths, so you're stuck with plains ones, which you might need to tart up a bit.

agree with wabbitpoo. Any angle or fixing to a wall etc will help make them really stable. Alternativley a bolt/coach screw or some timberlock screws can do a decent job. If you are using the later it will look neater to screw from the inside of the frame. You can also fix the newel posts on the indise of the frame, which will give a much stronger fixing as you can put a timber plate each side, however you then have to do some cutting of the boards around the posts.

So is screwing them on out of the question?

Post's I'm getting, the bottom has been cut away so it sits onto the deck as well as overlapping onto the joist..... (BQ jobbies)

In that case I will go for bolts.......Whats the recommended size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back