Decommissioned Gas Pipework

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed our builder threw the old gas pipe in the skip from the hob. Anyway I fetched it back out, and capped both ends then threw it back in again(y)

Sponsored Links
so what are you achieving :rolleyes: think about my dear chap
The only thing I'm achieving is making the point that nothing's as clear cut as it seems on paper. Makes for a good debate though!
What was the intension of the reg?

Andy Plumb:When you r client phoned you to complain of gs smell, what did you do?

a) Visit to recheck
b) Tell them it must be okay
c) Advise to phone Nat Grid (or whatever)
d) None of the above

Sponsored Links
Andy Plumb:When you r client phoned you to complain of gs smell, what did you do?

a) Visit to recheck
b) Tell them it must be okay
c) Advise to phone Nat Grid (or whatever)
d) None of the above

e) Tell them to burn it off.

Until a pipe has been used for conveying gas then it is just a pipe and does not need to be capped ( although wise to do so to stop mice etc. )

Once a pipe has been used for gas then it is has become a gas pipe and both ends need to be capped.

Pretty simple really.

If you are really keen you could also put a test nipple at one end.

Last question could be does it have to be an RGI who is capping the no longer used gas pipe. I would say that it does!

You say pretty simple yet you seem to not understand that a pipe doesn't have to convey gas before it can be deemed a gas pipe!!!

Any pipe designed, specified to carry gas is a gas pipe even if no gas is present, hence why there's standards in relation to how it should be installed and tested prior to filling with gas

Last edited:
Perhaps so on a large gas pipe painted in yellow ochre.

th

But a 22mm copper pipe bought from B&Q is not a gas pipe until its installed for that purpose and connected to a gas supply.

Last edited:
Perhaps so on a large steel pipe painted in yellow ochre.

But a 22mm copper pipe bought from B&Q is not a gas pipe until its installed for that purpose and connected to a gas supply.
Doesn't need to be connected to a gas meter/supply, if it was connect to say the boiler and not connected to the meter is it a gas pipe?

Stop digging, if it's intended purpose and design is to convey gas then when you start to install it, it's a gas pipe.

Last edited:
I'd it isn't a gas pipe until it carries gas, then any twonk could install it.

I'm starting to regret promising to stop taking the pi$s out of Tony.

At what point on the route to the scrap metal dealer does a pipe previously used for gas..............

I'd it isn't a gas pipe until it carries gas, then any twonk could install it.

They probably could have. Do you always replace the gas pipe on any gas appliance you're installing?

FFS. P&H has degenerated into the same crap by the same morons from GD.
And as for the OP, I see her has not answered my question. Probably does not understand that either.

This thread is a very confusing read for we poor DIYers as well.

Our first house, a Victorian semi built just before WW1, still had the old fashioned gaslights on the walls when we moved in. Whilst renovating we dug out the old lead pipework and tossed it, and I remember that it still smelled of the town gas. Never occurred to any of us that there might be regs attached to such things. Mind you, that was in 1981.

Not related to the above, but we came downstairs one day just after moving in and the smell of gas was overpowering. So we got Transco out, or whatever the equivalent was back in the early 80s, and they told us we'd come close to being blown to buggery due to a major leak from the main valve on the meter. Turned out (according to a neighbour) that the old chap who had the house before us would turn the gas off at the main valve every night, and years of this must have worn the darned thing out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back