Deep deep foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just embarked on a two storey side and rear extension. There is a public sewer 5m from the house about 4m deep. We needed to obtain a build over agreement which we did by following their recommendation to build a pad either side of the line of the sewer with a beam spanning it. We had the load calculations worked out by a structural engineer which were submitted and approved by both the water board and local planning office building regs. The plan was to make each pad 1x1x1m 1m from the line of the sewer and as we are on clay soil the foundations on the rest of the build would need to be nearer 2m.

Today the building inspector turned up and insisted that the pad areas of the foundations be 4m deep and as a result about 4x3m wide. The rest of the foundations had to be 2.5m with those polystyrene boards (can't remember the name). As the 4m deep foundations are so large the builders added some form of wooden box and wooden boards presumably for support. Them filled with concrete.

Our builders have been very efficient and just got on with it all but I've read a couple of websites where it says that trench foundations over 2.5m are dangerous, impractical and prohibitively expensive. Impractical and expensive aren't good but are not a major problem (she says having not seen the bill yet) my concern however is that they could be dangerous. From what I can work out with the ever trusty googling is that the weight of such large foundations puts unpredictable loads on the surrounding soil.

I cannot find enough information on this so was wondering, is 4m too deep? What are the risks? Has anyone had trench foundations of this size or did you opt for piles? My concern is mostly down to my lack of control and lack of understanding and having prepared for the type of soil and having provided all the load calculations and preparations for the build over, is randomly throwing more concrete into a larger hole the safest way to go? How do building inspectors make such rapid decisions on what to do in place of a calculated and prepared plan? Feel free to give me a virtual kick up the butt if i'm worrying over nothing.

Sponsored Links
The inspector is probably going on the rule that when the foundation is near to the pipe, it should be taken down to the invert level of the pipe (4m?).

But at that depth, it would probably have been more economic to use mini-piles and a ground beam.

Trench-fill 4m deep probably means that the foundation will be far heavier than the extension. Has anyone stopped to considered the ground bearing pressure under such a weight?

The inspector is probably going on the rule that when the foundation is near to the pipe, it should be taken down to the invert level of the pipe (4m?).

But at that depth, it would probably have been more economic to use mini-piles and a ground beam.

Trench-fill 4m deep probably means that the foundation will be far heavier than the extension. Has anyone stopped to considered the ground bearing pressure under such a weight?

They didn't discuss it with me today and it's only since I've been reading up this evening that I discovered that there could be an issue with such deep foundations. My concern is that the previous option had been carefully calculated and this new solution seems a bit rash and like you say, has anyone considered the load/weight issues. I will definitely ask tomorrow but was hoping to find some info so I was prepped and not dismissed as a fussy client.

Sponsored Links
I'd ask the building inspector for confirmation of his structural qualifications and a copy of his PI insurance. He won't have either but it might make him think twice in future before getting into things he doesn't understand.

I spoke to the building inspector and the contractor and we are having 3 pads and beams put in as per the structural engineers report. The public sewer is 4m deep so the pads will be laid at the invert level of the sewer so the additional digging will stand but the concrete pads will be 1m3 so won't have the weight bearing implications of deep foundations. The rest of the foundations will be over 2m deep as there is a small willow tree in a neighbours garden.

I'm glad I took the time to google the issue and look at old threads on here so I had a much better understanding when I spoke to them this morning. Unfortunately there will be additional costs but not as much as I feared yesterday.

Thanks for the replies. Today's drama, gas meter had to be moved and it's been removed and no one has turned up to change the meter and turn it back on. All fun and games.

We had the load calculations worked out by a structural engineer which were submitted and approved by both the water board and local planning office building regs.
Then the BCO should just be ensuring that the foundations comply with the approved plans...unless something different from what was assumed on the plans was subsequently found. In which case you SE should have been informed so he could come up with a revised design.

Ive only ever be down to 2.5m before using mini piles - 4x3m sounds insanely large....imagine of someone only put in 225mm of concrete, who'd wanna be the bricky bringing that up to damp course :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back