Departurtes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not Part P etc qualified, but are using the upgrade of my CCU as a "case" I have all the necessary equipment Megger 1552 etc.
There will be departures, due to the age of the house (1963), all of the upstairs lighting has no cpc and some of the downstairs has no cpc. The rest is fine. It's not technically feasible and financially to run a cpc to these light points etc, (due to the construction of the house - it would mean removing roofs and or ceiling boards at a cost of say £3000 to make good.....) The testing organisation state that it's OK as long as I correctly fill in the revalent test/certification forms etc etc and disclose these departures , I do not intend to sell this property for at least 20 years....
Is this correct or will I have regulatory "issues" the max load (without diversity is 130 Amps and are putting in a 100 A RCD/RCBO split unit and the current CU is 60 Amps, wire fuseable, so no leakage protection at all and "running the CU at up to 80 Amps very easily)

Sponsored Links
http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG1_08.pdf

yea just read that on another forum, basically it says don't do it (ie do not replace the CCU and leave the lighting circuit dissconnected ("F**k-off" - not you !!, so no disrespect intended) - no lights, thats even more dangerous!
and no RCD/RCBOs etc etc , thats dangerous, my thoughts are that it's better to be 80% than 0% QED....

Well what was the point of asking then if you already knew you should not be doing this.

How do you think your DI assesor will rate your standard of work if you have left your own home in a dangerous condition and non compliant with BS7671?

Sponsored Links
Well what was the point of asking then if you already knew you should not be doing this.

How do you think your DI assesor will rate your standard of work if you have left your own home in a dangerous condition and non compliant with BS7671?

cause my DI assesor (actually local authorities technical organisation) told me that it's OK,(to proceed) but I thought that I'd put it on this Forum, however I won't use this for my elecsa rating case

I guess you don't really like your family anyway.

Can you post your name and address so we can warn people about you.

Which part says to leave the circuit disconnected? The last page that has the chart on has that if the tennant refuses corrective action if they have something which isn't safe on the circuit.

I guess you don't really like your family anyway.

Can you post your name and address so we can warn people about
you.

no comment, as stated 80% is better than 0% and 100 Amps through an old 60 Amp CU with 16mm2 supply feeds is also not that good, I'm just doing what the organisation (in Potters Bar) said I could/should do, as verbatim, do all the tests and state the departures (that I disclosed - no cpcs to some of lighting) something about code 104s 401s?.... being noted
Have then they mis-advised me and have I "wasted" £220 (for them to do "nothing")

Code 1 to 4 as found on a Periodic Inspection Report?
Or installation methods?

There's scope for using RCBOS on non-cpc lighting circuits, but I believe the niceic guidance phrases it "if the customer cannot be convinced of the need to rewire". IE a very last resort, now like RF says you're the installer and client, how's it gonna look that you couldn't convince yourself to do the job to the basic minimum standard?

Which part says to leave the circuit disconnected? The last page that has the chart on has that if the tennant refuses corrective action if they have something which isn't safe on the circuit.

??

i don't understand.. please expand

page 7 (of eight ) ....

I do not intend to sell this property for at least 20 years....
In which case your argument that it isn't worth doing it properly is complete b*****ks. And by which time, of course, the wiring will be 65-70 years old...

cause my DI assesor (actually local authorities technical organisation) told me that it's OK,(to proceed)
Well he was wrong. But I'm confused - does your council carry out competency inspections for one of the schemes?

but I thought that I'd put it on this Forum,
Why? Were you hoping that you'd get advice saying "go ahead"?

You already knew that NICEIC say "don't do it", and via association so probably do the ECA and SELECT, but you didn't care for that advice, so you went looking for some which you did like.

And having not found any here, where will you try next?

however I won't use this for my elecsa rating case
I wish you would - but you clearly think that ELECSA won't agree with you either. Doesn't your reluctance to put it forward for assessment bring it home to you that what you propose is unacceptable?

I hope that whatever you put forward for assessment you crash and burn, because you have no business thinking that you can become an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back