Departurtes

Roof boards don't need to be removed. Cables can usaually be fished down joist runs, going across the joist run means a little hole each side of the joist, fishing the cable between them and clipping it to the beam.

Or, use coving/ coving trunking.

to have access to roof boards means exposing the joists either above or below, thats either a new roof £1000 + or new celing boards, coving, artexing etc etc , at least the same price

Sponsored Links
Roof boards don't need to be removed. Cables can usaually be fished down joist runs, going across the joist run means a little hole each side of the joist, fishing the cable between them and clipping it to the beam.

to have access to roof boards means exposing the joists either above or below, thats either a new roof £1000 + or new celing boards, coving, artexing etc etc , at least the same price

No offence, but do you understand what I mean by fishing cables down joist runs? Do you have much experience in domestic retrofit works?

Ok then duncanhead,

I can see your after help and advice, that is the spirit of this forum. I don't normally get involved on what looks like from the surface an episode of 'flaming'. However, your asking questions that someone looking to gain acredditation to a 'Part P' scheme should very definately allready know. Your getting abuse not because people are deliberately being unhelpfull but because you need to be told such things for your own good.

ELECSA do offer a pre-assesment site visit, you may find this helpfull before shelling out the full assesment amount. It does come at a price, but nobody can tell you bettewr if you are fit to join up to their scheme than them, give them a call on monday. 0845 634 9043

thx, that's welcome, I've spoken to Elecsa many times before and they are very helpful, I will telephone both them and the Power Supply Organisation to re-clarify the situation, but on the face of it it looks like I've just lost £220 and cannot legally go-ahead with this project, thats 20 weeks worth of my DWP payments (I get about £11.50 a week - big deal!!) so someones gona "pay" for mis-advice etc etc - and to cap it all I'll have the existing "dangerous" CU etc etc "stuck" with me "forever" hope that "I fall under a bus" soon and then "I won't give a f**k!!" - no personal intentions etc etc towards u

No offence, but do you understand what I mean by fishing cables down joist runs? Do you have much experience in domestic retrofit works?

no and no, but please do enlighten me - thx

I've even offerd to work for FREE for some other organisations/electricians etc - no takers, if I can't work for free then there really isn't much point in carrying on...?

Sponsored Links

Cables can usually be passed through a void such as the one between ceiling joist- by pushing rods or steel wire between holes and pulling the cables through. This is a skill honed over years and essential to domestic works; I've passed wires through many ceilings and never yet had to remove or replace entire sections of plasterboard. there's always a way- some more messy and destructive than others admittedly.

again and in all honesty no offence, but I think without such fundamental basic knowledge you're poorly equipped to be an "installer"- the job is more than just electrical connections, the journeyman tradesman is a jack of all trades in addition to being the master of his chosen one. If you want to make a career of this you need practical experience as a mate or apprentice.

Cables can usually be passed through a void such as the one between ceiling joist- by pushing rods or steel wire between holes and pulling the cables through. This is a skill honed over years and essential to domestic works; I've passed wires through many ceilings and never yet had to remove or replace entire sections of plasterboard. there's always a way- some more messy and destructive than others admittedly.

again and in all honesty no offence, but I think without such fundamental basic knowledge you're poorly equipped to be an "installer"- the job is more than just electrical connections, the journeyman tradesman is a jack of all trades in addition to being the master of his chosen one. If you want to make a career of this you need practical experience as a mate or apprentice.

yes I know exactly what u mean, perhaps even removing a small piece of external brick work (in my case) to route a cpc to a spot, I've set up my own TV transmitting station (in the past - legally) and routed 1/2" very ridged coax type cable 5 meters thru vertical voids to get "closer" to a 60' tower, I just need "experience" but cannot even get it for free ie offering my services without any pay, it must just be a "closed shop" in this business... ?

Do you have any class 1 fittings or accessories on these circuits?

I assume by class 1 fittings, exposed metal boxes/work, trunking cases etc etc, then no, it's just a normal domestic home, with ceiling roses etc, perhaps (but I'd need to check) some conduits in the plaster may be the older metal type, but not exposed...

yes I know exactly what u mean, perhaps even removing a small piece of external brick work (in my case) to route a cpc to a spot, I've set up my own TV transmitting station (in the past - legally) and routed 1/2" very ridged coax type cable 5 meters thru vertical voids to get "closer" to a 60' tower, I just need "experience" but cannot even get it for free ie offering my services without any pay, it must just be a "closed shop" in this business... ?

"Proper" apprenticeships are like gold dust. I was lucky and probably got one of the last old skool apprenticeships- 4 years with "the old boys" of the trade on the local leccy board, gaining a wide variety of experience and seeing individuals different methods. In time and of course too late the loss of this will be realised, that public utilities were more than just potential profit making companies :rolleyes:

As a self employed spark I can't help you much- I've pondered employing someone and would like to help, teach, and pass on knowledge- but the red tape is probably too much for a one-man-band like me. It's bad enough the nic wanting to see my "health and safety policy statement", "customer complaint procedure", etc etc balls b***ocks s**te etc as it is. Occasionally I use a helper on a big/time critical job but I keep it cash in hand just to avoid the tape.

"Proper" apprenticeships are like gold dust. I was lucky and probably got one of the last old skool apprenticeships- 4 years with "the old boys" of the trade on the local leccy board, gaining a wide variety of experience and seeing individuals different methods. In time and of course too late the loss of this will be realised, that public utilities were more than just potential profit making companies :rolleyes:

As a self employed spark I can't help you much- I've pondered employing someone and would like to help, teach, and pass on knowledge- but the red tape is probably too much for a one-man-band like me. It's bad enough the nic wanting to see my "health and safety policy statement", "customer complaint procedure", etc etc balls b***ocks s**te etc as it is. Occasionally I use a helper on a big/time critical job but I keep it cash in hand just to avoid the tape.

yes I know exactly what u mean, sometimes "red tape" just doubles the time/cost to/for a profession, PS I am 23 mins from London

Just a quick note, the commentary was written on the 16th edn regs. We are now on the 17th edn regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back