Departurtes

You won't find an RCD protecting the DNO service cable though.
You'll get the full 560A if the cable faults, how the cable behaves is another matter.

I'd think that you'll be surprised, the DNO feeds are very good - so is thier protection, as I said I wouldn't want to try it in practice, 2 reasons, it'll take the whole block out, and the DNO may then want to replace thier feed to my system board, (would require digging up 2 rooms and a nice driveway)...

.. and to create this sort of fault is (death), I know it as I've heard from a colleague that some one dropped a spanner ( but don't site me) and "melt down" occured, the person died a week later.... not a "nice" "picture"...

Sponsored Links
ah ha i have it sussed this thread will come to a close next sunday
if my calculations are correct

Sponsored Links
You'll get the full 560A if the cable faults, how the cable behaves is another matter.

I'd think that you'll be surprised, the DNO feeds are very good - so is thier protection, as I said I wouldn't want to try it in practice, 2 reasons, it'll take the whole block out, and the DNO may then want to replace thier feed to my system board, (would require digging up 2 rooms and a nice driveway)...
Not that good though, I don't know what they use in the box in the street but I'd imagine some sort of BS88 fuselink. I have never come across a DNO supply cable which has upstream RCD protection.
.. and to create this sort of fault is (death), I know it as I've heard from a colleague that some one dropped a spanner ( but don't site me) and "melt down" occured, the person died a week later.... not a "nice" "picture"...
I have seen the video too about the computer place that wouldn't let them turn off the supply.

How is a 560A BS88 fuse good protection for a 16mm service cable?

hmmm.. it'll actually be a 100 Amp fuse, need to check out the specs for the DNO fuses and what mm2 thier supply actually is, (I'm not going to try and measure it (each core) with my micrometer though) but as you rightly know fuses "run" at overcurrent" for quite a few seconds if not an hour (depending on the over current) as relating to the "nominal" rating.... Why do you think that I wouldn't what to "upgrade" to a 100 Amp fuse if I knew that 80-100Amps+ were regularly loaded thru it ( the original 60 Amp fuse)?

The 100A fuse in the service head (or whatever size it is) does not protect the DNO cable entering your property, this is protected by the next DNO fuse upstream wether it be a 315A fuse I don't know. Only they can answer that.

Not that good though, I don't know what they use in the box in the street but I'd imagine some sort of BS88 fuselink. I have never come across a DNO supply cable which has upstream RCD protection.
I have seen the video too about the computer place that wouldn't let them turn off the supply.

I don't believe it's RCD type protection, I can find out exactly how/what the "protection" is, but this would take me about a week and I might not be able to publickly disclose my "findings"

hmmm.. it'll actually be a 100 Amp fuse, need to check out the specs for the DNO fuses and what mm2 thier supply actually is, (I'm not going to try and measure it (each core) with my micrometer though) but as you rightly know fuses "run" at overcurrent" for quite a few seconds if not an hour (depending on the over current) as relating to the "nominal" rating.... Why do you think that I wouldn't what to "upgrade" to a 100 Amp fuse if I knew that 80-100Amps+ were regularly loaded thru it ( the original 60 Amp fuse)?

If the supply is for the block I don't think it will be 100A

Can't wait for Sunday...

The 100A fuse in the service head (or whatever size it is) does not protect the DNO cable entering your property, this is protected by the next DNO fuse upstream wether it be a 315A fuse I don't know. Only they can answer that.

yea, see my later posting..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back