Departurtes

the client is actually "my wife" and as she is funding the "project", I've written to her (with the official wording/recommendations) etc and more than 90% of the issues have been agreed to be "sorted" by myself as the Installer to the agreed timescales and my charges, and of course to the necessary compliancy/regulations, so I believe that I've "done the utmost" for complete compliancy and have reached a compromise that "meets " the recommendations as to a new CCU installation - this is all in accordance with the Electrical Safety Council Guide, a full risk assessment and recommendations have been corresponded, all class 1 fittings "departures" will be "sorted" leaving only 3 fittings that are of minimal risk and that the client states that the cost and/or disruption cannot be borne to rectify these, I've been asked to proceed with these "remedial" tasks prior to the CCU installation...
You are Sidmus and I claim my £5.

Sponsored Links
the client is actually "my wife" and as she is funding the "project", I've written to her (with the official wording/recommendations) etc and more than 90% of the issues have been agreed to be "sorted" by myself as the Installer to the agreed timescales and my charges, and of course to the necessary compliancy/regulations, so I believe that I've "done the utmost" for complete compliancy and have reached a compromise that "meets " the recommendations as to a new CCU installation - this is all in accordance with the Electrical Safety Council Guide, a full risk assessment and recommendations have been corresponded, all class 1 fittings "departures" will be "sorted" leaving only 3 fittings that are of minimal risk and that the client states that the cost and/or disruption cannot be borne to rectify these, I've been asked to proceed with these "remedial" tasks prior to the CCU installation...
You are Sidmus and I claim my £5.

don't understand "Sidmus" pls explain? If you want £5 then I can do a PayPal or FastBACS transfer and you'll "have it" in 30 seconds

Bit before my time, but there is a lot of 'love' for Sidmus on this forum - someone who used to post here a while back.

I'm sure he/she pops in from time to time!

You won't find an RCD protecting the DNO service cable though.
You'll get the full 560A if the cable faults, how the cable behaves is another matter.

I'd think that you'll be surprised, the DNO feeds are very good - so is their protection, as I said I wouldn't want to try it in practice, 2 reasons, it'll take the whole block out, and the DNO may then want to replace their feed to my system board, (would require digging up 2 rooms and a nice driveway)...

.. and to create this sort of fault is (death), I know it as I've heard from a colleague that some one dropped a spanner ( but don't site me) and "melt down" occurred, the person died a week later.... not a "nice" "picture"...

hmmm.. it'll actually be a 100 Amp fuse, need to check out the specs for the DNO fuses and what mm2 their supply actually is, (I'm not going to try and measure it (each core) with my micrometer though) but as you rightly know fuses "run" at overcurrent" for quite a few seconds if not an hour (depending on the over current) as relating to the "nominal" rating.... Why do you think that I wouldn't what to "upgrade" to a 100 Amp fuse if I knew that 80-100Amps+ were regularly loaded thru it ( the original 60 Amp fuse)?

If the supply is for the block I don't think it will be 100A

do you mean they supply 100 Amps, or they provide a "fusable" link at the DNO supply head at 100 Amps

Can't wait for Sunday...

the fusable link is/will be 100 Amps (at the supply head)
according to a Siemens Engineer this DNO type supply feed is "good for 1500 Amps" but he didn't specify for what period of time, ie continuously rated or for x Seconds etc etc

BTW with reference to the BS951 clamp and additional bonding EDF have stated today (by a Senior technical Engineer) that it's indeed appropiate for this to be used as additional bonding to their supply feed to the MET....
however an Electrical Authority say that a BS951 type isn't recommended as it does not present a constant pressure of the additional bonding cpc (over a prolonged period of time - say 10 - 20 years) to the DNO earthing, and that a more suitable "clamp" is manufactured, but they have exaustively tried to source/buy these items but cannot, but not because of mechanical deformation/stress/damage to this construction of DNO supply.. so I have made the assumption that all additional bonding (to the DNO supply) be periodically tested (independantly) of other bonding (DNO supplied) as to it's (actual) effectiveness....

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd whip that BS 951 clamp straight off, its not designed for that purpose, and whilst you seem to have found an 'Electricity Authority' that seem to be OK with it, I just don't like the chance of an arc-flash event happening in the cupboard under the stairs.

This is an arc flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iClXrd50Z8

I think EDF got confused by your use of the word bonding with regard to a clamp for copper pipes being installed on their lead sheath.

Check your Ze with it on, take it off and check it again, if its higher I'll eat a hat shop.

Personally, I'd whip that BS 951 clamp straight off, its not designed for that purpose, and whilst you seem to have found an 'Electricity Authority' that seem to be OK with it, I just don't like the chance of an arc-flash event happening in the cupboard under the stairs.

This is an arc flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iClXrd50Z8

I think EDF got confused by your use of the word bonding with regard to a clamp for copper pipes being installed on their lead sheath.

Check your Ze with it on, take it off and check it again, if its higher I'll eat a hat shop.

nice vid...

but I described exactly the installation in question (and clamp type) and they "welcomed" the additional bonding on my description of the state, size, age, oxidisation etc etc of the original wiring, the conversation was recorded....

Ze (without is 0.4 Ohms) so is perfectly good and 1/2 of the requirement... but I have taken into account the recent (relative) oxidisation/deteriation etc of the DNO suppled earth cable

So perhaps I should kindly request "an upgrade" and then all of this (additional supplementary bonding) will be unneccesary, I'll send them the link to the pic this evening and then they can comment...

It was a nice vid, see how tight you can get that clamp on the sheath before that happens before your very eyes.

I really find it hard to belive that a clamp designed for a copper pipe could be sanctioned as appropriate for the lead sheath of a high current carrying cable! I cant really see how a DNO would sanction any work on their network, which is what you have done.

Just out of interest, what is the thin orange wire connected you your earth block?

It was a nice vid, see how tight you can get that clamp on the sheath before that happens before your very eyes.

I really find it hard to belive that a clamp designed for a copper pipe could be sanctioned as appropriate for the lead sheath of a high current carrying cable! I cant really see how a DNO would sanction any work on their network, which is what you have done.

Just out of interest, what is the thin orange wire connected you your earth block?

Well I described very clearly the clamp type, style, normal use, and BS reference and they (EDF) said that it's appropiate, I'm only stating what I was told, if they said "no"... then it would be "off" in 2 mins... As I said i'lll email their technical Dept and re-request clarification, well call them for your very self ... 01279 824945
if I really have been mis-advised then "it's off" and they can inspect, test and upgrade/make good as necessary, but the reply was from a Senior Technical Project person

as stated before the orange wire is one end of a wanda lead, it's at earth potential so there is no safety risk, it's silver plated multi-strand wire so isn't tarnished and provides a very low resistance reference to the MET

the reply was from a Senior Technical Project person
I wonder if he's related to the person who told you it was OK to ignore a fundamental safety requirement of the Wiring Regulations when installing your new CU?

as stated before the orange wire is one end of a wanda lead,
That fish gets everywhere.

it's at earth potential so there is no safety risk,
That depends on what it makes contact with.

it's silver plated multi-strand wire so isn't tarnished and provides a very low resistance reference to the MET
How low?

It's off (the wanda lead) now, and was only connected for about an hour (at that time) to do some cpc tests, the later image (at the same (web) address) reflects this

http://www.browse.to.it/bonding.jpg

1.70 Ohms for a 50meter length, zeroed ofcourse to give a reflection of the likely cpc

changing the subject, I've seen at least 5 vans (at the same time) from various different Organisations at this location, (I walked to a near street at 6:30 PM today, and took this...) "attending" to various services, a big sign stating "Do not disrupt, Engineers working on live cables" or something to that extent, it can be seen at:

http://www.browse.to.it/cable.jpg

and is a severed feed, the pic doesn't really do it justice... but its 2" in dia

any thoughts? for sure this ain't live.... (well now is isn't) and the state of the bonding is in question (but this may well have been caused by the excavations)

the reply was from a Senior Technical Project person
I wonder if he's related to the person who told you it was OK to ignore a fundamental safety requirement of the Wiring Regulations when installing your new CU?

Should I check with "genes reunited" then?

as stated before the orange wire is one end of a wanda lead,
That fish gets everywhere.

it's at earth potential so there is no safety risk,
That depends on what it makes contact with.

it's silver plated multi-strand wire so isn't tarnished and provides a very low resistance reference to the MET
How low?

Duncanhead, i have ben reading the posts you have made with annoyance, frustration and a kind of sadistic enjoyment.

I fail to see why, after declaring your are no expert that, you would ask questions, wait for the replies and then vehemenly ague the toss about every iota of support and advice you were getting.

I do not claim to be one but there are experts on here who are possibly genuinely concerned for your health and property and you treat their important contributions with total contempt.

If I stood at the top of a tall building and canvassed enough opinion about wether i should jump I would find someone cruel enough or emotionally incompetant enough to support me in my attempt. Over the last three days i could have driven to wherever you live, chipped in or rodded in a cpc to each required point, plastered up, swept up, given you the paperwork and consumed copious amounts of tea.

I have come to the conclusion that either

a) you dont care, that you think life is cheap
b) you have a terminal disease and the dignitas clinic in switzerland are full
c) you have tried and failed with a succession of attempts to keep an electrician in your house for more than 10 minutes
d)you are an alien intent on destroying earth society with your chosen weapon of boredom against your chosen targets (to begin with) of electricians and the good willed advice givers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back