Desert island discs turns 70.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So now's your chance to give your top 6 songs of all time - and why.

They may not be the best songs in history - but they were a bookmark in your life. Tell us about it.

I'll have a think then post mine.

Sponsored Links
This is a hard one as I think your top 6 songs will change throughout the years but here goes ...........

Something.............. The Beatles
Love Me For A reason ......... The Osmonds
Sugar Baby Love ............. The Rubbettes
Woman ..............John Lennon
I Want You Shes So Heavy ..............The Beatles
Rock Your Baby................ George Macrae

Massive Beatles fan so 1, 4, & 5 are obvious and the others were favs that I grew up with.

Well my first is the start of flower power. I was about 14 and we were on holiday in a caravan in Conwy (Wales) with my mum and dad and 2 brothers. Very happy times. The song is:

1) Scott McKensie - San Fransico. (written by John Philips of Mamas and Papas). The year was 1967.

2) A couple of years later me and my brothers used to go and watch Nottingham Forest at the City ground (which is actually in the county) on one week - then Notts County at Meadow Lane (actually in the City) on the other week. We used to set out at about 10am and buy a bottle of cider each and walk there through the woods. My brother (now deceased) used to sing a song on the way. "I am a linesman for Notts County...."

Yeah you've guessed the song "Whichita Lineman. Glen Campbell.

3) I loved the Beatles middle period so I'll plump for Strawberry Fields

4) Me and my brother emigrated to Oz in 1970 and lived in a boarding house in Parramatta. First real freedom. A song out at that time was Simon and G'funkle - Bridge over troubled water

5) I left my brother in Queensland and went travelling with the circus. I heard a song on the jukebox in a place called Proserpine. The song was by a band I'd never heard of - Cream (already split up). The song was White Room.

6) Had an affair with a girl in Sydney I think it was 1978ish. Unrequited love.

Billy Joel -Just the way you are. Wonder where she is today?

Taking the whole of my life mine would be:

Teddy Bears Picnic 78rpm :confused: (my favourite as a child, still have it)
Lonely Pup in a Christmas Shop by Adam faith (sung it at a party when I was nine and won a bar of chocolate)
Lets Dance by Chris Montez (my first teen record)
Can't Live (if living is without you ) by Harry Nilsson (nursing nursing a broken heart)
The First Time (ever I saw your face) prefer the George Michael version but it has been around a long time (falling in love again !)
Come Away With Me by Norah Jones (Just the latest record that I absolutely love)

Sponsored Links
That Living is Without You song was written by Pete Ham of Badfinger - he hanged himself. A couple of years later - another member hanged himself. It is (after all) a suicide song. :cry:

That Living is Without You song was written by Pete Ham of Badfinger - he hanged himself. A couple of years later - another member hanged himself. It is (after all) a suicide song. :cry:

Yes I know....it is rather doleful....but suited my mood at the time !

1 Jimi Hendrix, & i'll have to go for the album Electric Ladyland.
2 Led Zepplin, Stairway to Heavan.
3 Pink Floyd, Another brick in the wall.
4 The Who, Pinball Wizzard.
5 Supertramp, Logical song.
6 Alice Cooper, Schools out???
Thats it no room for Davies on the road again, or the Stones, Cream, Doors, Police. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Guitar Concerto - Rodrigo (played by John Williams)
Bridge over troubled water - Simon & Garfunkel
Vivaldi's four seasons
Echo Beach - Martha & the muffins
Radar Love - Golden Earring

Thanks squeaky :)
I have put a link to a brilliant piece of guitar playing in my post in word games....
I am becoming slightly addicted to it....but I heard it after I posted my favourties !

Sponsored Links
Back