Design suggestions - 2.8m ceilings or 2.2m - what would you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing ground floor ceilings are 2.8 m high. I've had it confirmed by others on this forum as well as my architect that my single storey rear extension can also extend up to this height because I meet the permitted development rules on eves height (our extension walls are 2m away from neighbours).

Knowing that we will be having a few glass lanterns as well as large glass patio doors up to 10m wide, the room is likely to be not as warm as say an extension that does not have as much glass as we intend to have (even though it will be super insulated).

2.8 m high ceilings will therefore make the room that bit more cooler. What would others do on this forum: would you stick to having nice high ceilings of 2.8m to match the existing house or have a warmer room with a lower height ceiling?

The only problem with dropping the ceiling height on the extension is that it will make the extension (8m deep 10m wide on one side and 4m deep on another to make a wrap around extension) seem smaller as you step into it from the non-extended part.

Sponsored Links
Knowing that we will be having a few glass lanterns as well as large glass patio doors up to 10m wide, the room is likely to be not as warm as say an extension that does not have as much glass as we intend to have (even though it will be super insulated).
10m wide doors....WTF!!! :eek:

Couple these doors with roof lanterns etc and your conservatory will only be usable at certain times of the year. Pointless and a waste of money.

If you have a large amount of glazing, you will not reduce heat loss much by reducing the ceiling height by 0.6m. Also, bear in mind that patio doors of 10m length will require a decent beam, which will probably require a higher ceiling anyway.

And it's not just a case of saving some energy - in an older house with 2.8m ceilings, a much lower ceiling for the extension might feel pinched.

Nose all
The width of the extension will be around 10m. With the various return walls to support the breams etc, possibly 2 sets of fixed window panes of 2m each and 2 patio doors of 2m each. All discussed here with all you before.

Here is an old version but this plan will change with a brick return column separating the to lots of windows due to planning issue and no step.

Does this sound viable? Suggestions for improvements?

Sponsored Links
We will have a wood burner, but seriously??? That cold?
So constructive criticism - how best to design the rear to keep a nice vista into a great wide garden?

There will always be a trade off where romantic notions of 'great views' are concerned, whilst being a resident of the UK.

I have lost count of the enquiries regarding turning these conservatories into useable spaces and am still astonished as to why people think they can have loads of glass and loads of comfort without the cost.

I take it this is being passed off as a connie i.e. you intend keeping the habitable part of your house separate with no knock through?

Sorry I didn't understand your last paragraph.
Either you are building a building reg's compliant structure or you are not.
If it is your intention to comply (thermally) then you're limited to the amount of glazing per floor area.

If it does not comply then the new structure will need to be kept separate from the existing.

Ok got you.

It will comply. Both my architect has done some rough calculations and the private building regs gut has indicated so. I've seen similar extensions built by friends. See below for this and evening standard cut out. The only difference is that the other ones are bifolds rather than complete glass....and the ceiling has flat window rather than lanterns.

When you say separate, you mean an annex not physically connected, like an out building?
No. I mean connected but not opened up i.e. no knock through etc.

No doubt your architect has this in hand so let him do the fretting. Why so many questions when you have professionals on board? :confused:

Because I am indecisive in life but more to the point, like to get opinions from others so that I can be analytical when making decisions and be better informed rather than making mistakes later.

i like to get external views...bit like crowd sourcing / crowd funding...I utilise those models for other aspects in life and find it works best rather than simply thinking my view is best. That said, I'm not a push over either and go with one person's view. Like to question and understanding logic so as long as the replies here are constructive, I dont feel bad taking criticism. Rather someone tell me I WILL be cold rather than paying £20k for nice glass only to swear later about heating bills.

You seem to be questioning EVERYTHING about the build, from the foundations to the roof. Almost as if there is no architect involved and that that this is some pie in the sky proposal by a wannabe builder.

Have you had these conversations with the architect?

Do you have final draft drawings?

Have theses drawings been approved?

Why are you relying on the say-so from a diy forum?

Trying to understand every aspect of the build, yes.

After my comments about my RIBA architect that I mentioned on numerous threads in the last few months (where plans went in for my L shaped rear PD in May and I wasted 6 months going nowhere and fired him to get this new local retired architectural technologist who initially said I cant have a 4m eves before everyone here said I could under PD if 2m away from neighbours and he corrected himself)....I want to make sure I understand as much as I can (sorry for the lack of full stops!).

I'm not questioning my architect on his failings, I just want to get independent good quality advice from "many people in the know" rather than put my faith in one person.

I'm learning. There will no doubt be more to come. Your contributions as always will be welcome.

Final drawings will be ready in 1-2 weeks for me to check and change, he tells me.

Why listen to the forum - I gave my answer earlier. Crowd sourcing from people who I consider to be clued up is not a bad thing (unless you're tell me here that all the strangers to me are clueless and should be relied upon).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back