Design suggestions - 2.8m ceilings or 2.2m - what would you

I would always prefer higher ceilings, and as your extension looks like it's intended to be lavish and luxurious, I wouldn't skimp on the ceiling height.

You can always have a ceiling fan to reduce stratification of the warm air if you find you need it.

Sponsored Links
I would always prefer higher ceilings, and as your extension looks like it's intended to be lavish and luxurious
'Lavish and luxurious'! Oh please, we're talking about someone who uses words like 'crowd sourcing'. Don't feed his ego any more FFS!

And your point is?!

Take a look at why giffgaff, kick starter and seedrs are so successful.

Sponsored Links
What bs? You can't like something that you don't understand because you have never heard of the proven concept? You're showing your age by being dismissive!

What bs? You can't like something that you don't understand because you have never heard of the proven concept? You're showing your age by being dismissive!
I understand and appreciate the concept, just your phrasing of that is irritating.

I also find it odd that you are finalising the drawings with your architect yet are approaching this site for the fundamentals. All seems a little backward to me. Ho hum.

Anyhoo, as long as your architect deals with the glazing/thermal issue then crack on. Don't be tempted with roof lanterns though as they can be a pain. I would steer towards Velux (sloping roof) or more glazing on the facades. Try and keep any flat roofs simple.

We will have a wood burner, but seriously??? That cold?
So constructive criticism - how best to design the rear to keep a nice vista into a great wide garden?

When you have that much glazing, you are basically building a greenhouse.

So hot when the sun shines, cold when it doesn't.

Sure fancy triple glazing will make some difference to heat loss, and maybe some heat gain with reflective glass.

But adding some external overhangs or shade (controllable mechanical louvres) to avoid or reduce summer sun would be a good idea, unless you don't give a fig about energy and are happy to run air-conditioning.

As this part of the extension is going to be under permitted development my architectural technologist just told me that I need not worry too much about how the design of the patio or the size of the patio door windows should be at this time as they can be changed during the build (I gave him an indication of what I wanted but not 100% decided). He has simply said that it will need brick columns at the return.

Taking comments from the more knowledgeable people here is making me rethink how I should do this. I'm particularly averse to feeling cold and having high heating costs as the house is currently cold and is difficult to heat (and costly for that matter!). I just thought that with good quality glazing it will be fine but assuming the u value will be the same as a brick wall, well I didnt give that much consideration.

Useful advice thanks. Will do some rethinking and speak to him. Just not sure now how best to make it look with 2x 5m width extensions and a small gap separating them (because of the PD rules for L shaped extensions).

Just not sure now how best to make it look with 2x 5m width extensions and a small gap separating them (because of the PD rules for L shaped extensions).
Why not apply for PP and have it look how you want to?

Long complicated story which I mentioned in a thread that you replied to in Sept. As I have an L shaped house, the void area to be extended is considered a side extension even though it is not facing the road and sidewall of this new extension cannot be connected to another extension behind the rear of the house to create a wraparound as that is against permitted development rules. So stupidly, we need to leave a few inches gap, build two flank walls and then apply for planning permission to fill the gap. And all of this will be open plan inside, so you can imagine the cost wastage.

As we want do an eight meter extension under the neighbour notification scheme, the council will not allow us to do that under planning permission as the maximum they will give us 3.5 m and they have been very blunt and telling us this when we put in a pre-application. Hence the reason why we lost nearly 9 months on this project trying to achieve what we want via multiple angles when my previous architect who is good at doing 3d CAD but knows nothing about local planning rules.

To complicate things further, we have a balcony above the void area where we want to create the eight meter extension and it needs to be taken down as it would fall foul of the permitted development application (we can't build it under it either because the existing ceiling height will go above the floor of the balcony). The house already has a two storey side extension on the far side and we are not therefore able to do a permitted development wraparound on that side of the extension either. So that side needs to be done, again later, under planning once the PD part has been built. Nightmare doing this in stages with multiple applications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back