Designated Interior Drying Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone ever heard of a "Designated Interior Drying Space"? it's for a newbuild residential house.

it's what I would have called a Utility room. it has the CH plant in it, and no windows. It does have a couple of doors, however, which I suppose is handy with regard to getting in & out of it.

anyway, A "DIDS" is evidently a requirement of the building warrant of the LABC in question. My Q is, is there any part of the IEE regulations that addresses them specifically? I can't find one but I have only perused the green OSG.

Sponsored Links
DIDS is not listed in the definitions in BS7671.

But BS7671 only refers to the electrical requirements.

Building Regulations (or LABC's interpretation of them) might have other requirements (eg the installation of a humidity extractor fan).

You should check with them.

My Q is, is there any part of the IEE regulations that addresses them specifically? I can't find one but I have only perused the green OSG.
Not in BS7671 there isn't, you may find that building regulations will require that the correct ventilation is offered to prevent moisture and mould growth

My Q is, is there any part of the IEE regulations that addresses them specifically? I can't find one but I have only perused the green OSG.
Not in BS7671 there isn't, you may find that building regulations will require that the correct ventilation is offered to prevent moisture and mould growth

Too slow, mate!

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling it's more of a Scottish building requirement.
With regard to the BRB you will probably just need to bear in mind humidity and heat. (Along with normal circuit considerations)

It's a Scottish requirement,

Section 3.11.6 Drying of Washing also indicates that a designated space for the drying of washing should be provided inside every dwelling, this to be in addition to the external space. It defines a minimal volume of 1m3 of clothes drying within a designated space (having no dimension less than 700mm), allowing 1.7 m of clothes line per apartment.

Apart from the inadequate length of clothes line specified, a major weakness is that the designated indoor space is not required to be an enclosed dedicated space. It could be as minimal as a floor space within a dwelling on which to set out a clothes horse or space for a ceiling mounted pulley.

Section 3.14.4, ‘Ventilation of areas designated for drying of washing’ indicates that this space should either have mechanical extraction capable of at least 15 l/s intermittent operation – the fan should be connected through a humidistat set to activate when the relative humidity is between 50 and 65% – or a passive stack ventilation system in compliance with a further clause.

http://homelaundrystudy.net/design.html#chapter04

and see

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/217736/0102070.pdf

I've got a feeling it's more of a Scottish building requirement.
With regard to the BRB you will probably just need to bear in mind humidity and heat. (Along with normal circuit considerations)
So what are the regulations on the Orkney Islands?

Is it mandatory to wear high heels and skirt?
Oh yes.

4345173391_4e071dfbb7_z.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back