Despite what some are saying, it’s not all growth and prosperity in the EU.

You’re supposed to be giving out the death sentence and you’re playing with your phone. Pay attention man!
Verdict given. Jury excused for the duration. Yes! result. :mrgreen:

A lady sitting next to me on the first day, was relieved when they excused her and I had to stay. Eventually I was among the twelve whittled down for our case - a short one at that. Saw the lady sitting bored in the waiting area the very next day and the next. When I was grabbing my coat to leave for good, she was sitting there again. "Looks like I got the better deal eh" I said to her nodding. She'll be there all next week too.

Sponsored Links
where the Bank of England has to raise interest rates
Another aspect - a view that emergency rates have to end and get back to sensible levels. The initial thoughts were that 2% should be manageable but that doesn't mean it would have been the max, just a first step.

Behind this is savers. For a stable economy they need to see a return that exceeds inflation levels. This improves the liquidity of the outfits that lend.

inflation-interest-rates-1945-2011.png

Sponsored Links
Did you receive 5% interest on your savings in 2007?

Banks make their profit by charging more, and paying less.

Here's another view

1667665044716.png

Last edited:
Found one from '06 to '17

Not looking good for savers

1667665619188.png

As I said they want a return to normality but with a set inflation rate. Ok until shate happens.

I do know people who have changed their car from interest on savings in the past. ;) Not that I had that much at the time.

I do know people who have changed their car from interest on savings in the past. ;) Not that I had that much at the time.

I've known people who applauded high interest rates, ignoring the fact that even higher inflation actually left them worse off, because it made them think they were getting richer.

Cash savings are a mugs game.

"The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 10.1% in the 12 months to September 2022, up from 9.9% in August and returning to July’s recent high."

"The annual RPI inflation rate was 12.6% in September 2022."

Source: ONS

Nobody is earning interest like that on their savings.

Last edited:
I have a question..

Is it done. All sorted. This is how it will be?

Some say brexit hasn't started and will take the next 20 years to sort out.
Others say its done.
I do read up online occasionally regarding, but from what I see everyone has moved on. Forgot about it. Not interested.
More interested in Ukraine, economy and the jungle.
They only difference I've encountered is when I post items to southern Ireland which I've had to stop.

This is an interesting article although it's an opinion piece it's printed by the guardian and written by the guardians own economics editor

It flies in the face of what many spout on here.
Larry Elliott is known for these pieces, he is a Brexit supporter

[3] [4] He supported Britain leaving the European Union [5] [6] and voted to leave the European Economic Community in the 1975 referendum. [7] Elliott, an outspoken critic of the European Union, authored articles for The Guardian such as "Brexit is a rejection of Globalisation

It is ironic he begins by saying “remainers are suffering confirmation bias”, then goes on to write an article built entirely on that.

The article rehashes old, tired arguments, namely:
“Brexit is not as bad as project fear”
”economy is bad due to pandemic and Ukraine”

He also brings up the good old “exports to EU are now as big as they used to be” (conveniently ignoring massive increase in LNG exports to EU and ignoring massive increase in costs to our trade with EU now.

Its pretty poor for a serious journalist to be quoting from briefings from Britain, that’s a Brexit propaganda site, used to be leave.EU.

This is an interesting article although it's an opinion piece it's printed by the guardian and written by the guardians own economics editor

It flies in the face of what many spout on here.
Here here. (y)

"Over the years, the argument from the anti-Brexit camp has changed. Where once it was “Brexit will crash the economy” it now is “the economy would be performing better were it not for Brexit”.

"After six years, the argument for Brexit remains what it always was: an opportunity to look at an under-performing economy in a new light and to do things differently. Whether that opportunity will be seized or squandered remains to be seen, but there is no gorilla in the room, just a mouse with a loud squeak". :ROFLMAO:

I know a 'mouse' with a loud 'squeak' on here!

Stand by for some more charts from the chancellor of the forum.

Sponsored Links
Back