Detail where cavity wall joins single skin wall?

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The drawing shows the new cavity wall (full fill insulation in blue) coming down to join an existing single skin utility room (red).

Any ideas best way to join the inner skin blockwork to the single skin?

If I straight join it I create a 'thermal-bridge'. If I finish it say, 100mm away from the single skin it isn't tied in.

Anyone know how to deal with it?

Is there any product made to deal with this situation?

Sponsored Links
Hello Oly

The cold bridge is from the warm air in the new room via the existing wall (red) to the exterior. Not joining your new wall to the existing wall (red) does not in any way help the situation, so I would recommend making a conventional join (walll ties etc).

You could beef up the insulation of your new wall by using Gyproc thermaline insulated plasterboard or similar. You could consider lining the inside of your single skin (red) wall too which would (at a price) treat that cold bridge.

I had a similar problem when I rebuilt the front wall of my bungalow. The party wall seems to run through to the front without a cavity.

In my case I lined only the outside (new) wall. I do get a small amount of condensation and mould at the top of the party wall which has to be cleaned from time to time.

I had to use the gyproc thermaline on my new wall, because without it I could not have met the building regs for heat loss.

Julian

• Thanks
Reactions: oly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back