Determine which cable is what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have recently had a bedroom plastered top to bottom and the plaster decided to take down the light a tape the wires together (for what ever reason). Now I don't know which wire is which how can I determine what wire is live and neutral?

I know the earth wire and my loop wires are all red (same as all other light in the house) But the remaining wires are all black so can't identify them by site, is there a way I can find out what is what?

Thanks

Kris

Sponsored Links
Do you plan on using this plasterer again? If not (and assuming you haven't paid) then get on the phone & ask him when he's coming back (or sending an electrician) to sort the light out.

For the future, next time you get a room plastered ask the plasterer what they want doing about sockets, switches, light fittings etc- some are happy with plates off the wall but still connected (I usually tape freezer bags round sockets and switches, saves me the chore of picking bits of plaster off them afterwards), some prefer them removed & cables tucked out of the way.

Taped the cables together- lucky they weren't live. How many bits of T & E are there- 2 or 3? Do you own a multimeter and do you know which settings to use to determine voltage or resistance?

I have a multimeter but not 100% sure on how to determine voltage and resistance.

Never had to before

In that case, playing guess and go on here is going to pose a significant risk of injury. Call an electrician. (For someone with the necessary knowledge and test equipment, this will be at worse a 30 minute job provided that idiot plasterer hasn't nicked the cables with his float and used the tape to hide the damage).

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you can workout how to use your meter on continuity, it will be straight forward.

Regards,

DS

I see very little point in having a tool but having no idea of how to use it!

Nows the time to dig out the instructions. Concentrate on the continuity (resistance) function. Let us know when you are up to speed, then you'll be ready for the next step.
PS
Check out the AC voltage function to. You'll need that to make sure the supply is safely isolated before you do the continuity bit;)

I see very little point in having a tool but having no idea of how to use it!
822643p13636EDNMain20140129cnsbr3862hero.jpg

Never needed to use one before and it came as part of a set so that's why I didn't know how to use it.

Didn't need it anyway I figured out what they had done by finding which cable was from the socket and previous light and the one going to the next. Quite simple all fixed working perfectly and correct voltage running through them all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back