Determining line and load for an FSU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had my kitchen plastered and removed all the sockets to aid the plasterer.

I’m now replacing them and have some FSUs and I stupidly can’t recall which is line and which is load!

What happens if I connect them the wrong way around?

If I could find my multimeter I would check for continuity between the switch and the outlet but the house is a building site so it’s hard to find stuff.

Ta for any help

Sponsored Links
Not a lot happens if they are wrong way round. Neon indicator lights (if fitted) will be on on all the time. And the fuse will be live even when switched off (Which is an issue).
Load is downstream, ie. whatever you are feeding it to.
Well done for asking.

Last edited:
Line and load?

Surely you have line and neutral.
Feed and load.
In and out.

Each terminal should be labelled.

And a description or photo of the wiring coming out of the wall should help determine what's what.

Sponsored Links
He hasn't said his FCUs have neon indicators, but I suppose it could be done with a lampholder and lamp.

What concerns me is if many FCUs have been removed, this may mean breaks in the ring circuit, if there is one, meaning there could be 'feed' cables not connected to anything and therefore not showing up live.

Photos would be highly advantageous here.

He hasn't said his FCUs have neon indicators,
They do.

What concerns me is if many FCUs have been removed, this may mean breaks in the ring circuit, if there is one, meaning there could be 'feed' cables not connected to anything and therefore not showing up live.
The switches are for the cooker and hob outlet which are each on RCBOs by themselves so no ring issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back