Device that sucks air from outside for ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry if the answer is really obvious, but is there a device that could suck the air from outside (for ventilation purposes) into a room through a relatively small hose?

Sponsored Links
We have built an acoustic wall that has blocked our windows, and we want fresh air supply. There's a large ventilation hose above the room, it sucks air from the outside to the corridor via the room, we basically want to connect to that hose to get fresh air directly from outside.

There are various reversible extraction/ventilation units around, depends on what your aim is though

Sponsored Links
Normally when you want some fresh air you open the window. Because we don't have this option any more, we want to drill a hole inside the ventilation hole, stick a small hose outside and suck the air in using some device. Initially I assumed that air coolers would be able to do this, but I can't find any on the market so I assume that they can't.

I am pretty sure that I will be fine without ear plugs or HVAC consultants, but thanks for the advice anyway.

To 'T' into a ventilation system like you describe to provide fresh air can be a little problomatic.

It depends on whether air is pushed into the ducting or sucked into the ducting.

If it is pushed through you may have some success but if it is sucked it depends on where the fans are as you may end up just sucking air from your room.

All duct work for ventilation is calculated to provide a certain velocity and volume of air to a specific place, cutting into duct work could affect the flow rate elsewhere and also negate any fire damping systems in place.

Not really something to just cut and do especially if you do not own all the building and ductwork !

The large ventilation hose that goes across the room is supposed to take air from the outside into the corridor. The extractor fan in the corridor has been broken for years though so the system is pretty much unused. I was thinking of T'ing into the hose and installing a new extractor fan, this time in the room. Another option would be to get a portable air con with an extension hose and vent it outside through the large ventilation hose. Do you think any of this would work? Thanks.

Can you use a bathroom extractor (with the fan in the duct) in reverse, sort of? 4" flexible ducting, nice and quiet - or have I missed something?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back