Did the Electrician Cause Flickering Lights?

Would I need a dimmable switch?
No, just a normal on off switch.
If the lights stay on without flicker, it is probably an interaction between your bulbs and the dimmer switch that is causing the problem.
It can sometimes be a dark art, matching dimmable LED bulbs to a compatible dimmer. Especially when we are talking about unknown brands. There have been plenty of threads on here talking about these kind of issues...

Sponsored Links
Suppose I put a normal switch on and it doesn't flicker.
Does that mean that I need to change the switch or the bulbs?

The switch is part of a whole smart hub system (Lightwave) so it's not much of an option.

JH

ok, I ordered some new dimmable GU10 bulbs from Amazon and changed them with what I had.

Now I have a different problem.

If I set the brightness to 100%, then it flickers every second or so.

When they flicker, try a very brief off, then back on.

Sponsored Links
Yes you need a Dimmable switch to dim the lamps.....Varilight Pro

Those lamps work out at £1.80 each.......from that I would say they are rubbish.....The lamps I fit cost about £4.50 each

Suppose I put a normal switch on and it doesn't flicker.
Does that mean that I need to change the switch or the bulbs?

The switch is part of a whole smart hub system (Lightwave) so it's not much of an option.

JH
One step at a time.
If the lights don't flicker with a normal switch, at least we can (partially, unless they caused a new source of interference) rule out the electrician being at fault.

I have a lightwaveRF remote and a separate dimmer module, controlling an LED strip PSU. I have found it to be a reliable but expensive system - I understand why you wouldn't want to change it.

In the many decades since I moved here, and from the start, I've had a massive inverted V, two monopoles, amateur TV antennas, plus a wifi long distance link. At one time, I even had a mobile mast fully extended, in my drive. All are unmissable, but I have never had any complaints.
I'll start another thread

I had a next door to where i was working where i put a bellbox in. As i was about to connect the siren the following day he told me it kept everyone awake last night.

Oh, and watch out for people telling you that the plugtop fuse is letting too much/too little electric in so things are not working properly

In the 80s, I did a rewire of an old farmhouse.

The old dears were convinced our rewire was increasing their electricity bill 10 fold.

We knew the install was fine and went round the house with a fine toothed comb, looking at the appliances. I found an electric radiator which had a faulty stat, and the heater was on 24/ 7.

They were reluctant to accept that was the cause.

The old dears were convinced our rewire was increasing their electricity bill 10 fold.

We knew the install was fine and went round the house with a fine toothed comb, looking at the appliances. I found an electric radiator which had a faulty stat, and the heater was on 24/ 7.

Yes it would be your fault, how could you convince them otherwise? I know that feeling ;)

Around the same time I wired a new build town house. due to the shape of the property on 5 levels there were several lights in 3 stairs 2 way systems and each had multiple intermediates. Customer moved in and reported 2 lights didn't work, both on the same circuit. Being totally convinced they did work I spent far too long looking for the fault before checking for blown bulbs. I often wondered if the builder had swapped some from an adjacent property but these would not have been obvious choice as halfway up the house.

Of course it was my fault:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back